Methylfolate

Do any of you have experience with methylfolate before? I had a genetic test at 23andme that found that I have a bad homogeneous mutation dealing with the methylation cycle and specifically my bodies ability to absorb folate. I think it’s important for your brain’s ability to make neurotransmitters. Anyways, instead of doubling my dosage of lithium as originally planned, she just gave me methylfolate to take. She said I was lucky, which is the first time a doctor has ever said that to me. She believe it will make a huge impact on my mood.

If any of you have experience taking methylfolate please post your stories, good or bad.

1 Like

How much it costs? :sweat_smile:
If you dont mind me asking!

No idea. For now my pdoc just gave me a bunch of free samples. She said sometimes insurance companies will cover it and sometimes they won’t since it’s technically simply considered a supplement and not a medicine. It will take 2-4 weeks to see if it works for me since it takes time for the neurotransmitters to build up. I read that it was commonly used to treat hyperhomocysteinemia in sz patient on AP’s, but I’m not exactly sure what that is. Anyways, I’ll let you know how much it costs and if my insurance covers it whenever I find out. Hopefully I’ll have good news for it’s effectiveness in a couple weeks! :grin:

I take 400mg of it a day as a supplement. I take a lot of other stuff too so I’m not sure it’s exact effect on me. I’m taking it as part of a regimen to help with methylation. Seems to help. You can get it on iherb.com for under $20 or basically any other supplement site.

1 Like