Mental Illness is the wrong scapegoat after mass shootings

In the shadow of the two year anniversary of one of the worst mass shootings in American history, at Sandy Hook Elementary School, an extensive new study by two Vanderbilt University researchers challenges common assumptions about gun violence and mental illness that often emerge in the aftermath of mass shootings.

When a mass shooting occurs there seems to be a familiar narrative that untreated mental illness is the primary cause for the terrifying act. But a new study published in the American Journal of Public Health by Dr. Jonathan Metzl and Kenneth T. MacLeish finds that an isolated focus on mental illness is misguided.

5 Likes

Fewer than 5 percent of the 120,000 gun-related killings in the United States between 2001 and 2010 were perpetrated by people diagnosed with mental illness,”

yet the blame still flies…

1 Like

The right to bear arms comment put me off though. I’ll refrain from commenting further on that to try and keep on topic. But will post this which is about Brenda Ann Spencer, who fired at children in a school playground at Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, California, USA on 29 January 1979

I would have grave reservations about anyone selling a gun to someone with my history, but I still feel a need to be able to protect myself. Maybe if I carried pepper spray and a knife. A guard dog might also help, but dogs need to be kept up, and I doubt if they’ll let you keep them in an apartment.

*If no one had guns ( except the police ) then we wouldnt need all that protection. Sounds naive-I know-but when ever I hear someone say. " Guns dont kill people, people do!" So why put guns in theyre hands??!* The stigma of MI is going to go away at some point. like any other minority that has to fight for their rights, it may take some time, but its going to happen.

1 Like

Here in uk it is very illegal to carry weapons of any kind. As guns are quite hard to come by here it is mostly knives. But carrying a knife carries an automatic jail sentence.

Also the police here are allowed to stop and search anyone. I don’t think they need a reason. This has caused much controversy especially because some parties believe the decision to stop and search is sometimes motivated by "racial profiling ". But not sure how much truth there is to that - I find the stats confusing.

I believe the drugs harmed them. If there is so many side effects what do you suspect. i believe it is wrong too. maybe if they would make drugs that actually cure a person than cover it up then this wouldn’t happen. speaking from personal experience. The drugs cause pain, and that pain changes you.

1 Like