Menstrual cycle characteristics in women with persistent schizophrenia

3 Likes

Get very low when period comes

Have not had menses in 4 months due to meds.

I haven’t had a period in over a year and half due to meds. Going to the doctor in two weeks to see if there is something wrong with me.

1 Like

on my first psychotic break when I was involuntarily sent to the mental hospital, I actually got my period the next day in the mental institution. Also, the voices become louder when I’m on my period.

I don’t feel like talking about my period. :wink:

1 Like

anti psychotic medications deplete levels of oestrogen and raise levels of prolactin - this can be treated - it’s not something women have to endure - after a blood test to determine hormone levels then HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY(hrt) can be prescribed regardless of how old you are.

Risperdal consta shots will stop menstruation…Some of the other psych meds stop period if taken in high doses.

Suffered lots of irregular period in years just prior to my nervous break. Things were always regular prior to that…I use the birth control pills now to keep things regulated. Am using seroquel now so no more Amenorrhoea.

Went through year long bout of IBS too.

Very interesting. I hadn’t thought about any possible correlation at all. Thanks for posting this!