Massive Study Reveals Schizophrenia's Genetic Roots The largest-ever genetic study of mental illness reveals a complex set of factors

More coverage of that large genetics study that was widely reported on a month ago or so:

Schizophrenia is a distressing disorder involving hallucinations, delusions, paranoia and agitation. It affects around one in 100 people in the U.S., with symptoms usually first appearing between the ages of 16 and 30. Its causes have long been debated, particularly regarding whether genetics plays a role. It is known to be highly heritable, but small sample sizes and other methodology hurdles stymied early attempts to discern a genetic link.

Now the biggest-ever genetic study of mental illness has found 128 gene variants associated with schizophrenia, in 108 distinct locations in the human genome. The vast majority of them had never before been linked to the disorder. This finding lays to rest any argument that genetics plays no role.

5 Likes

That is absolutely terrifying.

That means they go to or are targeting certain genetics.

What i deal with is beings, thats my disorder, someone is doing things to me. So if genetics are involved, not saying they aren’t, then we’re perhaps hated by them or usable in certain ways, i don’t know what it is really.

Seriously, you are scaring the living ■■■■ out of me. If genetics are involved in the least then people may have a big problem on their hands. It means certain genetics are being tormented for some reason, thats the reality of the situation.

Genetics will get you killed won’t they.

Look into it folks! Your genetics may make you a target for certain things, like invisible torture for the rest of your life by what really appears to be other entities.

No - I disagree.

All this research suggests is that genetics is an important underlying contributor to risk for schizophrenia.

The general scientific belief now is that the genetics create the risk - but the environment triggers schizophrenia. This understanding is good - and the better we understand it - the better we can prevent it in the future.

3 Likes

In the case,if the schizophrenia is genetic disease;
1-it must be,there is a specific gene creates the disease “sz”
2-All psychological,cultural,social and environmental factors must be rejected ,

because;
the genetic cause have a contrary activity role for the psychological
factor, wherever anyone of them is antipode for the other
-the genetic factor is inherited,while the psychological factor is learned “acquired /obtained”
from the environment ,social life,…etc
-It is illogically to collect between the genetic cause and psychological in one basket
to create the schizophrenia

you can read these sentences in the article ;
"the technique CANNOT identify the exact mutation that cause illness OR EVEN
pinpoint specific genes "

this means that,until this moment,there is no gene creates or produces the
schizophrenia,and that is vary different about presumption that;
there is some genetic
factors play a role that contribute in the schizophrenia risks

Do they know of any links associated with other disorders and who would develop it? What type of immunities do most schizophrenic diagnosed people have? How does smoking relate to schizophrenia? What is actually happening to those genes? Why do some people swear by their false perceptions? Is their a biological or psychological cause which is it?

But havent Psychiatrists been wrong so many times in the name of science, like with lobotomy and use of LSD. Why should we trust them now. Please help me to understand if this science really is something different and usefull?

Please understand this point;
Even if the schizophrenia is a genetic disease,and these researchers have find
the defective gene who is produces the schizophrenia.
you should know that,finding the defective gene have no effects in the issue of
the treatment or cure
we have not the medical means to treat ill gene itself

but as you know,the functional activity of the gene is responsible about
creation some chemicals in the biological cells,which they are responsible
about achievement most of biochemical processes

in the case of the genetic disease,the gene produce some abnormal
chemistry in the cells,which causing the disease
so that,the treatment the genetic disease require correction to the
activity of abnormal chemistry in the cells

in the case of schizophrenia,they claim the existence of many
abnormal chemicals in the brain of schizophrenics like dopamine or else

it is supposed that,the medication can correct the activity of dopamine
and the issue of sz will be ending
it seems,there are some type of improving has been arisen on the person,
but most of schizophrenia symptoms still existed without any improving
like {delusions.illusion,paranoia,false beliefs…etc }

that is to say,the medication treat things and treat not many things other
-the schizophrenic can get off medication after 1 month,3 month,or 6 month
and live his lifetime with the many symptoms not treated by medication

no matter what is the period time of medication,there are many symptoms
still alive without removing,and they needed another different treatment
{psychological /behavioral treatment } to correct the substantive content
{ the cognitive content }for the schizophrenic individual

=without the self-care,family care,social care,psychiatrist care,the medical
treatment does not achieve a whole recovery

-in anyway,the activity of medication helps the schizophrenic to deal with
the second stage of treatment "correct the cultural content by self efforts
and family members,and health care workers and doctors
in sum,the schizophrenia is a story of treatment means without whole
cure in its end

1 Like

I agree that finding the defective gene does not mean a cure. It will help with treatment though. It is a step in the right direction. Hopefully once they find the defective gene with some certainty, than finding a way to better treat it will follow.

There are other forms of treatment besides medications. There is therapy (psychological) and cognitive behavioral therapy or CBT for behavioral treatment.

Yes some people can come off of medications after a period of time while others may need to stay on them for longer or learn to cope or live with symptoms.