Maprotiline Anyone?

Has anyone used maprotiline for Alogia?

1 Like

Where r u from …i must say medication doesn’t care for negative symptoms …sorry…

1 Like

Hello I’m from Australia,what dose that mean?

1 Like

@eduvigis you might be interested in this thread.

1 Like

I wanted to try this for alogia but my psychiatrist said it was too old. It has the usual antidepressant side effects. I’m not sure I want to go through that again. Also it was only one small study from india which said this is good for alogia, I’m not sure that is enough evidence.

1 Like

If you try maprotiline report back here and tell us how it works please.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet I’ve been on the same meds since maybe in the future if Alogia gets to annoying I will my ask my dr to put me on it thanks.

What’s alogia???

I used to have alogia pretty bad for years. Now I can’t shut up. Talking to myself all day. I can somewhat control it to only be in my head with being mindful and other techniques, for short periods, but it’s pretty difficult. I’d go back to the alogia if i could.

2 Likes

How many years did you remain with alogia? What was it like when it got better? How long did it take before you felt a difference?

I am currently struggling with this for two years. Any input on how it got better would be helpful.

It’s a weird story. I used to have huge difficulty in talking even to family and the therapist. I would smile too much, just walking down the street. It used to be like that for some years, maybe 3, after being diagnosed. Then about 3 years ago within like 3 weeks it changed, I don’t smile anymore for no reason and after that talk to myself, no idea why it happened. I’d go back to the alogia any day, this talking to myself problem is embarrassing and has caused lots of problems.

I think just practicing conversations with somebody or in your head might help alogia.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. Now I know not to give up on recovering from alogia. Unlike you I really hate it, it makes me feel stupid and incapable. Hopefully after another year or so I will get better.

What antipsychotic are you on that helped you come out of it?

1 Like

I didn’t like the alogia either, but it beats talking to myself. It wasn’t an antipsychotic that “helped” me, it just happened. I was put on abilify after, not before I started talking to myself, but it has gotten gradually worse over the years.

1 Like

I also have problems with alogia… :disappointed_relieved: I find a hard time talking and also finding out words… I too used to smile always like @anon32099838

Maybe sodium benzoate would help us ??

1 Like

Im so glad to hear from someone that it gets better. Did the alogia originally appear after your first episode?

Well, it didn’t get better, that would imply my life got better, it got way worse. This “talking to myself thing” has pretty much destroyed my life. Alogia is a hindrance for sure but it’s nothing compared to this, from my experience, as I’ve had both.

The alogia did appear after my first episode. I couldn’t even hold conversations with my psychologist and she implied that we should probably quit seeing each other. She hasn’t said anything like that after the “switch”.

Honestly I think in some cases the alogia is caused by the initial high
dose of antipsychotics. Like it completely wipes your brain clean. And at
some point your brain recovered from that, but obviously some modifications
were made in the process.