Major Breakthrough Identifies Mechanism for Development of Schizophrenia

Not sure how “major” this is - but its interesting and any progress and learning is helpful…

Summary: A new study sheds light on a potential mechanism for the development of schizophrenia. Researchers believe blood vessel abnormalities could play a significant role in the development of the psychiatric disorder.

Scientists from Trinity College Dublin and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) have discovered that abnormalities of blood vessels in the brain may play a major role in the development of schizophrenia, a debilitating condition that affects around 1% of people in Ireland.

The network of blood vessels in the brain regulates the transport of energy and materials in and out of the brain — forming what is known as the blood-brain barrier (BBB). Scientists working in the Smurfit Institute of Genetics at Trinity College Dublin and the Department of Psychiatry, RCSI, have discovered that abnormalities in the integrity of the BBB may be a critical component in the development of schizophrenia and other brain disorders.

Read the full story here:

and

and

Original Research: Full open access research for “Dose-dependent expression of claudin-5 is a modifying factor in schizophrenia”

http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/mp2017156a.html?foxtrotcallback=true

7 Likes

I hope they hurry up and work out what causes it as i want to have kids oneday.

I cant have kids until they can prevent it.

1 Like

I’m glad we’ve got the little blue dudes on our side.

6 Likes

This is great! I hope it leads to better treatments.

1 Like

We all need better medication now …

1 Like

Lool that was spot on !!

2 Likes

We need a cure now…
I love you dearly @SzAdmin , you’re a dear brother of mine.

1 Like