Life Expectancy

I went back on the e cig lastnight and am working on quitting nicotine. I expect my health to improve. I think smoking and getting diabetes are the major things that impact our health.

1 Like

Addictions and a high suicide rate also play a role - but they are not the sole cause for the shorter life expectancy - diabetes is a big one

If you want a long life be close to family and friends grow a garden go to church work a job you are on your feet and eat nuts and seeds

Some contributing factors for low life expectancy. Sedentary lifestyle, bad sleep habits, obesity, stress. Any one of those over a long period of time can put anyone, schizophrenic or not at risk for major, sometimes fatal illnesses.

Good advice - I dont want to discourage others from taking their meds - I personally need to function, so I take my meds religously … but… i am at a very frustrating point in my life where I am experiencing multiple side effects from the meds - I am very frustrated.

Just to be clear - I think that you are probably significantly right in many ways. The research article I linked to actually also agrees to a point:

“Among patients with schizophrenia, the cumulative antipsychotic exposure displays a U-shaped curve for overall mortality, revealing the highest risk of death among those patients with no antipsychotic use.”

Its a U shaped curve - so people on very high doses of medications also may have problems / and earlier death.

of course - you’d have to read the full paper to really understand what they are saying. But the study is based on over 20,000 people who had schizophrenia in Sweden - a place were there isn’t much Pharma company influence - so it seems like pretty good research.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @SzAdmin - I tend to blame the meds, when new side effects crop up.
I did not have the best day - I simply dont function without the meds - I may ask for a more metabolic friendlier antipsychotic to take - there are safer options for me to explore

1 Like

What a bunch of bunk if you’re worried start working out and sitting less and not smoking and eating well

I hope they get busy on making healthier drugs for us. We can now ask, “Where’s that 650 million going, huh!?!” Show me the money!

1 Like