Lend me some hope?

I schedule my first appointment with a psychiatrist. I don’t have much experience with other sz sufferers, but I believe that my illness is a relatively severe case. Do you truly believe that there’s hope of recovery for someone like me? That I can someday live a relatively normal, happy, life? That I will someday go to bed one night and feel truly content and satisfied with my life? Preferably free of delusions and hallucinations. Is there hope for me? That maybe my life could be even better than I could possibly imagine?

1 Like

There is hope, of course. Never give up in achieving that.

6 Likes

free of delusions and hallucinations.

Plenty of hope for that with meds.

As for the rest, remember happiness doesn’t come in a pill !

8 Likes

There’s always hope…there are several cases on this board that prove you can do it…good luck at your appointment…

2 Likes

I learned that one the hard way.

1 Like

I think there is hope, at least I pray there is hope. I could use a little reassurance myself these days.

You’ll get better. Sorry to say maybe not completely because most of us never do but I believe in you.

Your best bet is to stay on your med’s. If you want to change one, do it under doctor supervision. You’ll always have someone to talk to on here. Personally, I am finding more happiness as I get older. When I was young I had this desperate feeling that life was passing me by. I don’t have that so much any more.

2 Likes

It’s frustrating how I can be so hopeful one minute, and so hopeless the next. I just want to live my life free from my mental illnesses. I want to be the sunshine in other people’s day like I used to be. I miss who I was before I got sick, I suppose.

3 Likes

The fact that you are able to have those questions and aspirations is a very good sign that you will be able to recover, no doubt about it.

3 Likes

The severe cases are the ones who don’t even know they are sick. I 100% believe you can recover. It just takes lots of time and hard work.

1 Like

i think this forum provides a lot of hope to the people that use it, people see people doing ok on meds and it makes them want to get better,

i would be nothing without meds and thats for sure, i suppose you could say that the meds give me hope as well, the hope that one day we will feel about as normal as we can

i know other people who have sz and they seem to be coping pretty good on meds as well, and i have seen people struggle without and its not pretty,

i dont see what is wrong with giving someone something to calm them down, its a bit like puting a plaster on your brain in my opinion :slight_smile:

I’m worried about having a psychotic break. Today should be a day of hope for me. Any additional words of encouragement or coping advice?

1 Like

Today is a good day. You can do it.

The positive symptoms don’t correlate with functioning, those are the hallucinations and delusions you’re talking about. Once you get on meds those tend to get better. It’s the negative symptoms and cognitive symptoms which effect your life functioning more. So you may be “severe” at one point but once you get on meds you are perfectly fine, its not completely unheard of. A lot of users on here have crazy positive symptoms but function highly after getting on meds.

I hope so.
15 char

“Love always hopes.”

Have you ever felt an Angel touching the inside of your brain? . . .

[sends beams of golden light]

1 Like

Just a note I’ve been diagnosed for about 20 years now. I have times when I have very little symptoms and times when they kick in quiet strongly, about 2007 I had my first major relapse with my disorder since my diagnosis…

for me it was my stressful working schedule that did me in. I had to change my life around, and quit working to work on me. Sometimes it takes major life changes to bring down the symptoms. I really have to monitor my stress levels or voices/intrusive thoughts/depression all kick in, the stronger the stress the more my symptoms show up. But life is life, and you can’t always avoid stress you just have to learn to cope with it.

lol. I don’t think you’d be that lucid, unmedicated, if your psychosis was too bad.

Oh, you’d be surprised