Latuda anyone?

Just started taking Latuda40mg for Schizoaffective disorder/GAD/Anxiety/depression/Bipolar/ I Also take Lexapro I have only been taking Latuda40mg for two weeks now so far I haven’t had any side effects at all or any that I have noticed. I was taking Abilify5mg and it stopped working for me and I started to get severely depressed and my mood was changing so and it was terrible for weight gain so my Psychiatrist asked if I wanted to try a new Medicine called Latuda40mg so I said I did want to try it so it replaced the Abilify5mg I was taking for 11 years. I think I made the right decision in changing meds I am happier now and not depressed and haven’t noticed any weight gain on Latuda40mg but its only been two weeks is that too early to tell I don’t know if it is or not but so far so good??How long does it usually take for antipsychotic meds to get fully into your system? I mean how long before I notice any side effects o should I have noticed side effects in two weeks time please answer me as soon as you can anybody that knows about Latuda40mg and its side effects? I am loving it so far my mood has been stabilized and my weight has stayed about the same staying neutral wish I would lose some weight though I need to maybe now I will be able to with this new med. Wishing everyone luck with Latuda if you are new like me hang in there and don’t give up on the medicine yet until you know how it will work for you usually it takes a full 6 weeks to know if its the right med or not sometimes less so don’t judge this medicine until you give it long enough to work.

Hi @Melina I am glad to hear that you are doing well so far on Latuda - makes me hopeful. The reality of it all is that I am doing so well on the Risperdal, I just may try to march on with it regardless of the annoying side effects. My brother today said that my chest area is not bigger - I thought that I may be developing gynecomastia - guess I was wrong? Anyway, it takes about 3 to 4 weeks for an antipsychotic to be in your system fully, give or take

I hate having any side effects and hopefully with Latuda40mg I can finally lose the weight I have been wanting to lose for so long as long as it doesn’t cause weight gain I should be able to lose weight in no time flat. Its hard losing weight when taking any Psychotic drugs especially if they have the tendency to cause weight gain well with Abilify5mg my waistline and weight kept going up and it had me losing hope and depressed. Its been a hard rough road but I am more stable now than I ever have been in my life. I struggle with weight issues but a lot of people do that are on any Psych Drugs they all cause weight gain very few don’t but everyone of us is different some may gain weight others may lose and some may not have any side effects at all that’s the way it is. Before getting on any medicine I was skinny yes I was skinny anorexic in my past like when I was in my early twenties I weighed in under 82 pounds solid skin and bones then I don’t want to go back that route but I do wish I was thinner for me 120 pounds would be Ideal and perfect for my height and bone structure or body makeup. Not telling what I weight I am now its too embarrassing for me to even blurt it out or whisper it or say it at all. Back then I wasn’t afraid to say what my weight was because I was confident in myself that all went away when I became overweight I used to take pride in who I was and what I looked like on the outside and have self esteem to fulfill a army.

1 Like

Yeah Latuda sounds like it is a weight neutral drug. Abilify is supposed to be weight neutral, I was ok with my weight on Abilify, but it was not a good drug for me. I wish you well on Latuda @Melina

thank you and I wish you luck as well with your endeavors @Wave

1 Like

I went to my Psychiatrist today and everything is going awesome with my meds that I am on he asked how Latuda40mg was working for me and I said it works great I don’t have the Increased Appetite and no side effects at all he said that’s good. He said I would of had side effects a long time ago or within the first few days of being on it if I was going to have any side effects at all they show up in the beginning when you first begin taking Latuda40mg or any Psychotic meds side effects show up first thing. I have only seen positive things about Latuda40mg so far I haven’t been as hungry as I was when I was on Abilify5mg and haven’t gained any weight from it haven’t lost any either but I am working on that by eating less and exercising or doing any type chores just doing chores around the house is exercise in itself. You can work up a sweat running up and down stairs and doing little things like Laundry dishes and running a vacuum since I don’t have no side effects from the Latuda40 or the Lexapro20 I am on it may be easier for me to lose weight. With Abilify5 it was near impossible but not impossible, I did manage to lose 30 pounds on it but gained it back it made me so mad when that happened.30 pounds came off when I exercised and dieted with Slim fast and weight watchers meals. Also I was taking Alli at the time too. May go back to taking Alli and drinking Slim fast to get the extra weight I gained when I was on Abilify5mg off forever for good. Will keep everyone informed and updated on how my condition continues to improve everyday. Will be going on my third week on Latuda40mg.

1 Like

Hi @Melina this is good news for you, glad things are going well for you on Latuda. I see my pdoc next week and I am now starting to reconsider taking Latuda again. The reasons for me going off of Risperdal are plenty - I would like to lose some of the weight I gained when I was on Depakote - Risperdal is a weight gaining med also. It is difficult for me to lose a lot of weight with Risperdal. I think I lost some weight but I am basically starving myself now - this is not healthy. If there are other questions I have about Latuda can I PM you? I really want to be informed about Latuda before I see my doc
I just may take the dive and try Latuda out

Hi @Wave yes you certainly can Pm me if you have any questions at all about Latuda and I will try my best to inform me on how well it is working for me when I went to see my Psychiatrist and told hime it was working and I also have no side effects he said I would of in the beginning if I was going to have any at all they would show up in the beginning of taking Latuda. So far nothing at all to worry about except losing the extra weight I gained when on Abilify5mg I am working at it and I don’t seem to eat much on Latuda another positive or sleep as much sleeping 8 to 10 and a Half hours instead of 12 to 15 hours a night which is better. I have been on Latuda now for almost three weeks the 12th of this month will be a month.

2 Likes

Hi every1

I am in the process of switching my medication from Invega (paliperidone) to Latuda, and so far so good. I have been getting terrible side effects from Invega, including nausea, weight gain, coughing and lethargy. I am hoping the negative symptoms arent so bad, I would like to get back to work and try and do some more creative work as well.

I am just wondering has anyone else got nausea (vomitting after eating) and coughing from their meds.

1 Like

Yes my pdoc is suggesting that I go on Latuda , maybe I will succumb and decide to take it.
My concern is that it will be as stimulating as Abilify - but maybe I just have to give it a chance and see

1 Like

I found this page Googling Latuda and weight lifting and I felt like signing up for an account and replying. I don’t have schizophrenia but I have severe bipolar disorder and I restarted Latuda last week and ever since then, I don’t know if it’s the combination of Latuda and creatine, or just 1 or the other, but I’m much more powerful when lifting and when running. This is just anecdotal evidence and you need to talk to your pdoc about it, but it’s been very beneficial for me both mentally and physically.

My pdoc took me off Geodon and Seroquel and put me on Latuda. It seemed like I was angry all the time when I was on Latuda, but that could have been the effects of coming off Geodon and Seroquel. I switched back to my former drugs, but I might have acted too soon.

When i first switched to the clinic i was going to here in town, they put me on latuda, lexapro and clonidine. It worked i was hearing voices still but less. Then the med quit working little by little so they added invega. That’s when the problems go serious. By the end of my time there at that clinic i was on 140 mgs, 234 mgs of invega sustenna and 18 mgs of invega pills.

My new pdoc took me off the invega kept the latuda raised it to 160mgs and put me on 10 mgs of haloperidol and 1mg of lorazepam a day. I’m on other meds too but this cocktail of meds seems to be working. Except for today had a bit of a mess up today due to forgetfulness.

I’ve been taking latuda for 1 1/2 years. It is by far the bet antipsychotic out there. It has a high dopamine blocking affinity for psychosis and little to no side effects. I take 20mg in the morning. Also a good bipolar antidepressant. The SSRI’ s have never worked for me.

I haven’t taken Latuda but on another AP I had this intense restlessness after taking it. A lot like a kind of anxiety, I guess. Akathisia is the technical name I believe. Might be what’s happening to you? If it’s very bothersome, as it was for me, press the point with your pdoc and try to explain it in more detail. I don’t know if it is a side effect that goes away with time. I stopped taking the Saphris because I couldn’t deal with it.

1 Like

I tried Latuda briefly but it had no effect on my symptoms and made me physically ill so I stopped taking it and went back to clozapine, that is the only med that has ever worked for me.

2 Likes

Isnt the latuda the better version of Zyprexa? I just ask lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

Zyprexa is a horrible drug, it made me gain a good 40 pounds and wreaked havoc with my blood sugar and gave me metabolic syndrome, I had to stop taking it and can never go back I got so physically ill.

2 Likes

Latuda is the best anti psychotics imo. Very few side effects and literally no sedation. Worked like a charm for 2 years but then for some reason it stopped working. Don’t know why to this day. It’s quite expensive though.

2 Likes

Instances where medications stop working seem to be pretty common, this also happened to me numerous times and I had to wait awhile and vigorous exercise seemed to help alot, as far as I can tell problems with blood sugar and also metabolic syndrome are the culprit, if you eliminate them the meds will start working again.

2 Likes