Lamictal đź’Š

I am bipolar with psychosis. Who has experience with this?

@orange wrote…

Lamictal is a mood stabilizer that at low mgs has antidepressant affects. It is very commonly given to bipolar patients to help with depression, and has shown overall greater affects in stabilizing than depakote without having the toxic liver affects that depakote has. The only common concern is the chance of a severe rash for a small number of people. Common practice is to start with 25mg and titrate up to 150mg. Studies of doses higher show reactive psychosis.

And I answered…

cc: @Smprz84

The only problem with Lamictal lamotrigine for sz pts is that it sometimes interacts with anti-Ps in unfortunate ways. It might be worth a shot, but I’d be prepared for “upshots.” Ll is a =great= little med for the non-psychotic bipolar, though.

Smprz84: See what your prescriber thinks for you relative to this med. (It might be hip; I dunno.)

I suffer from bipolar and have been on Lamctal for a while - I am no longer on it, because it destabilized my mood too much, I found it to be very activating.

Its good for bipolar patients who suffer from a lot of depression, its a better med for bipolar II folks than bipolar type 1 folks.

the problem with Lamictal is that it acts too much like an antidepressant and in my case caused a lot of hypomanic episodes - everyone is different though.

If you suffer from a lot of mania or mixed episodes, Lamictal might not be the drug for you - Depakote and Tegretol have better track records against manic episodes - Like Lamictal, Tegretol is basically weight Neutral.

Best of luck to you

I took it with little to no side effects but I heard it can cause a chemical spinal meningitis
and can cause Steven-Johnson Syndrome ,…I was on it for while my sex drive was higher

Hey- does anyone know if Vitamin B6 works for akathisia/ restlessness? If so then how many miligrams? Does anyone know of anything else that works for akathisia? Thank you