LA mentally ill homeless man shot by police

Sorry for bad news but on Sunday this happened…

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/03/02/3628412/police-kill-homeless-man-on-skid-row/

They said he grabbed for the cops holster. Man the time I had an incident with the police I thought about grabbing his gun but I didn’t want to create a scene! That’s how bad I was… Good thing I didn’t do it.

IDK if this was the Institutions fault or the copps probably both…

It all was caught on tape you can clearly see the man was defenseless Look it up on youtube…

some people have a death wish, i am not saying this man did though

2 Likes

The sticker on the black post in the video, it says “jesus loves you”.

1 Like

I think there were 6 cops trying to handle the situation - 6 armed police officers, one unarmed mentally ill homeless person.
The taser did not work to subdue the man, so they used a gun instead.
The man touched the cops holster - so their solution is to murder the man?!?
This is getting very old - and its rather sickening - I am extra cautious when there are cops around, call me paranoid if you want - but their is a very poor track record when it comes to the police handling situations involving the severely mentally ill.
Sickening -

3 Likes

Yeah cops talk about how they want to protect but they seem to always put their lives first.

Sorry for creating more fear associated around police but somethings gotta change.

1 Like

This guy wasn’t in danger, he was the danger. And what of everyone on that street? Should the police have let this guy take the gun? If he was psychotic then they had to stop him to protect the lives of those around, and yes themselves… If he wasn’t psychotic then he deserved what he got.

And your joke, “Trigger” Warning is in pretty poor taste.

I’m not surprised by your response, Malvok. If they were strong enough to subdue the man, and use restraint then what’s the harm in sparing another life? How many innocent defenseless minorities have been attacked and murdered by police officers? Is that not a sign of our deteriorating standards as citizens in the U.S.?

1 Like

They were obviously having trouble doing that.

Oh please. They’re all so innocent and defenseless, and every prisoner is innocent of their crimes.

I said trigger warning because I originally posted the video of the man getting shot but I took it out…

Ya know so I can give you the chance to decide if you want to see it or not…

1 Like

From the linked article in the OP, the police knew exactly what they were getting into. Their approach was ugly, not at all professional.. There should be a third party to call to a scene such as this.

Roughly 3,500 homeless people reside on Skid Row, a downtown L.A. neighborhood that spans 50 city blocks. Today it is considered a hotbed of mental illness. In May, officers tased another mentally ill homeless man in the neighborhood named Carlos Ocana on a rooftop. Ocana fell to his death.

Despite a recent push to ease arrests for petty offenses in the area, officers are still working on strategies to accommodate the massive population.

2 Likes

Do people get hurt and killed when it could have been avoided? Yes. Do some cops abuse their power? Yes. But the vast majority do their jobs and help people. Some of you guys make it sound like every cop is a criminal.

You there in America have the great number of mentally ill people living on streets. I remember how I lived in my auto and met many people. Once I met a woman whose smoke tobacco in Miami Beach and she spoke alone and thought that she was on the university campus. She was totally psychotic but still she lived there in Miami Beach. In my country I never see any mentally ill people living on streets, things are different here.

Yeah almost all the people living on the streets here have some sort of metal disorder and if not they have a chemical dependency.

1 Like

Saying the vast majority help people is pushing an opinion.

My opinion, good police officers are often pushed around because they want to do their jobs. I can post articles backing up my opinion.

The posters did not indicate every police officer is a criminal.

This site tracks data about police corruption.

One example of how police officers can also be criminals.

Winslow Township, New Jersey: An officer pled guilty to falsely reporting he was fired upon. He shot his own car. As a result of the plea deal, he will be forbidden to hold public office and must forfeit the personal firearm he used in the incident. Officer in Winslow Township admits shooting police cruiser while on patrol - nj.com

It’s not all bad, but the cops are getting a bad reputation mainly because they aren’t even prosecuted after these events occur, and it looks bad on America. Giving cops more power does nothing to hide the shame of the violence that permeates our culture, but it’s changing a bit here. People are angry and upset at the violations of our rights to free speech and self expression, even minor violations set a toll on American lives. Violations of human rights will often have consequences, but the more bloodshed of innocent civilians is an outrage.

2 Likes

Stuff like this makes me so beyond internally angry and scared. I was homeless once… I wasn’t on meds and belligerently psychotic and drunk while homeless a few times… so thankful the cops back then didn’t shoot me.

The cop culture seems to be getting more nasty and violent. From the cop the shoved the crippled woman to the ground to the cop that shot the 12 year old in the park… it’s getting very scary out there.

4 Likes

I have never been to Skid Row. I want that place revamped.

I’m not referring to this just single thread.