L-Glutamine for schizophrenia?

Does L-Glutamine help schizophrenia? I can’t find any scientific data on the internet. Any idas, informations, experiences?
Thanks in advance.

Seems like too much glutamine may be very bad for people predisposed to schizophrenia, or who already have schizophrenia. Here are some recent research reports:

Note that it says:

“excitoxicity” is when you over-excite the neurons and it results in death of the neurons" - which is a bad thing. I would stay away from it.

And:

" Elevated glutamine, which was directly related to psychotic symptoms, is consistent with increased glutamatergic synaptic release in schizophrenia"

And another article - it seems that antipsychotic medications help to lower glutamine levels - so I suspect the last thing you want to do is increase them by adding a supplement. But - talk to your psychiatrist.

@SzAdmin, thank you.

2 Likes

I’ve taken L-Glutamine quite a few times and it never did anything to me mentally, however it works great for helping me recover from a workout and it promotes growth hormone release which helps to counteract the side effects from the medication that I’m on.

http://www.dr-bob.org/cgi-bin/pb/mget.pl?post=/babble/alter/20100930/msgs/966155.html

http://www.healio.com/psychiatry/schizophrenia/news/online/{f083d51e-811b-4d83-97fb-8739d1369fdc}/elevated-glutamine-related-to-severity-of-psychotic-symptoms-in-schizophrenia

1 Like

Early-stage first-episode sz
the first time that the person sees the imaginary people and hears their voices,to the time of
going to the doctor to take medication { rang 24-48 hours }
before the moment of taking medication;
the psychological,mental,emotional and chemical events has reach to the top degree

To achieve real understanding to the chemical events that occur in the brain during
the early-stage first,it must be knowing all details that related the mental /emotional
processes which occur in coincidence with the chemical events
-the mental/emotional processes does not exist in the air, but they are running in the brain,
it must be all changes that occur in the nature of mental/emotional processes reflected
on the chemical events

What is nature of mental/emotional events has occur in the brain of normal person{non-schizophrenic} ?
Then,what is the changes that occur in the nature of mental/emotional event in the brain of a schizophrenic person ?

All researchers ignore the radical changes in the nature of the mental/emotional processes,
as if they are does not exist at all,and that creates impossibility to understanding nature of the changes that occur in the chemical events
FOR EXAMPLE
The thoughts has been emitted in the mind by new vocal mechanism,followed by
auto mental respond without existence of time between thought output and the
respond output (there is no time to think to create the substantive content of the
mental respond,and there is no time between the current thought and
the follower thought {thoughts flowing},
-there are many changes in nature of ; rate of thoughts emission imagination

• In sum,there are many difference between nature of thoughts emission and thinking mechanism in both of non-schizophrenic and the schizophrenic
    -the changes in nature of the mental/emotional processes in the schizophrenic
    must be have an obverse in the chemical background,that to say it must be there is
    an inseparability between the chemical and mental event like the action of DNA
    and RNA {RNA has reflects the will /orders of DNA }

THE question;
what is the activity of dopamine,glutamine , any protein or even gene to creation
a huge details of the changes in nature and mechanisms of mental/emotional processes in the schizophrenic brain ?
MAINLY,what is relation between the proteins characteristics and thoughts creation process /substantive content of thoughts ?
-it is illogical to ignore the answer about theses questions,and be enough to talking about
the activity of the proteins as the matter be ended with this talking

but the question
what happens in the mind-brain of the person during the time of hearing the voices to the time of medication { range 24-48 hours} ?
1-occurrence of new mental and emotional processes without stopping at stability point
2-increasing the speed and number of the new mental processes than normal processes
3-no opportunity to occurrence of the chemical reverse processes,which help to get rid
of the remnants of mental-emotional processes

acceleration of mental,emotional processes forward without the occurrence of
the reversal chemical processes of the brain

the question
what is the chemical processes that coincidence the mental processes which running
forward ?
what is the reversal chemical processes that occur to get rid from the remnants of forward
mental processes ?

1 Like

I used to take weight lifting supplements loaded with L-Glutamine. Didn’t make me any better. In fact, those supplements were loaded with so many stimulants that I would get pretty cagey. Would not recommend playing with this stuff to anyone with stability issues.

10-96

You wrote;
Didn’t make me any better.
Mainly,what is the problem that you want to get rid from it ?
AND
what is relation between your condition with L-Glutamine ?

1. My main goal for taking the products with glutamine was to trigger muscular hypertrophy. I didn’t notice that much improvement from the product in terms of my main goal. I also suffer some positive symptoms from schizophrenia and didn’t notice any effect on these symptoms when taking glutamine.
  2. I didn’t take glutamine for schizophrenia.
  3. I have no desire to debate whether schizophrenia is a disease or not with you. I view you as being delusional and in denial about your illness. A conversation with you on this will go nowhere until you gain some insight into your condition. My advice to you is to listen to your doctor, take your medications as prescribed, and stop hectoring other people here who are trying to get better.

10-96

You wrote:
1- I also suffer some positive symptoms from schizophrenia and did’t notice
any effect on these symptoms when taking glutamine"
While wrote:
2 - I didn’t take glutamine for schizophrenia !
I HAVE NOT ANY COMmENT

Second

• It is clear that,I do not ask you debate or conversation around the nature of schizophrenia, - I do not ask you advice for my self,
    but ask you about the relation between l-glutamine and the schizophrenia,

And you answer the question ;
“didn’t notice any effect on these symptoms when taking glutamine”

Now,it is understood that,according to your testimony;
no matter what is activity of l-glutamine in the brain,
it have not any effect on the sz or its positive symptoms

The conclusion:
there is no relation “chemical interaction”
between the l-glutamine and the schizophrenia…that is all

10-14

I have no interest in communicating with you. Drop it.

10-96