Just lost my job

I have no idea what to do. I am going to call COPES … I might commit myself if I can find some financial assistance. Need to find information about social security. I am terrified … I feel so lost … Abandoned… If anyone has some help or advice I would appreciate it.

Noooooo! Did they fire you because of your disability? Is that even legal in the country in which you reside? This sounds terrible. :frowning:

1 Like

Sasha - jobs come and go - thats normal. Its not the end of the world, though I know that when it first happens it can seem like that.

Yes - get some information on social security and then start looking for a new job, or if you are not in good condition, get help. Have you tried your local NAMI office?

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Your_Local_NAMI&Template=/CustomSource/AffiliateFinder.cfm

5 Likes

I’m so sorry Sasha. What happened? Social Security takes a little while to get but you are eligible for it. Apply for it as soon as you can. If you have any questions about it I can help you. I used to get it when I was younger and also get it now. Good luck. :sunny:

2 Likes

When I applied for SSDI, I used the law firm Binder and Binder, and they came through for me. (I had already recovered enough to find and start working another full-time job by the time the checks started coming, though, so I saved all of it and paid all of it back)

2 Likes

I just want to say I’m sorry. And give you a big hug if you want to. I have always had work since I was 13. I’ve had different jobs. Never fired, I quit or stopped going to work. Maybe they fired me, I don’t know. I didn’t go there. The job was boring. I was 20 years old at the time.

2 Likes

Yes, you may have needed a break from the added stress a job can create, take this time to try and heal - and if they let you go because of your mental illness, this may not be legal. I would focus on your health right now, take the time to heal first - mending your health should be priority number one

2 Likes

You don’t say if you have any means of support until you get your social security. Maybe you need to call Red Cross of some other social agency to find a food bank. Do you need help with your rent? If you need to borrow money you can pay it back after you get SSDI. Maybe you can get treatment on an outpatient basis if you can’t afford to be committed.

2 Likes

so sorry to hear this mate but it might just b for the best in the long run. get all the info u can on social security. do it as fast as u can as it takes a while to process a claim. after that u need to focus on getting better. once u have a security check coming in u can apply for help with medical bills. good luck hunni xxx

1 Like

It sounds to me like money is the issue, not “jobs come and go”. Can you live with your parents for awhile?

2 Likes

I understand how you feel. I was laid off due to Hurricane Katrina. A job can give you a sense of identity. As far as money and food goes: a food bank is a good idea (someone mentioned). For medication there is probably some kind of a clinic in your state that can give you free meds. I go to one and I’m in SSI so I get medicaid.

Here’s an idea:

Apply for an easy college or 2 yr school in your area. Fill out a FAFSA. Enroll in at least 9 hours. Get a student loan or Pell Grant (you might not qualify for a Pell Grant depending on how much you made last year). I recommend this only because it’s an emergency and your quality of life is at stake.

ETA: You have to be a matriculating student to get aid, so pick a major. You can always just not continue your degree. With student loans you have a 1 year grace period before you have to start paying them back.

2 Likes

gosh, sasha I am so sorry…you must be really upset…I hope you find some way to fix your dilemma…

1 Like

oh god sasha,some times life just sucks…try to hang in there and contact as many support agencies as possible…sending you many many hugs…((((((((((((((((( sasha )))))))))))))))))))) i hope knowing that so many others care,will help encourage you a bit…

2 Likes

I’ve had about 20 jobs since 1984. I’ve been fired from at least half of them.
Was it pleasant getting fired all those times? No it wasn’t. It was embarrassing and looking for new jobs is not fun.
Do I care NOW? No I don’t.
At some of those jobs I stayed for four years, a couple others for three years and so on.When I get fired I find myself a new job. Whether I use an agency, word of mouth, or just take the bus around applying for jobs.
Jobs are jobs. Nothing lasts forever. My step-dad is an ex-professor. He taught business at a university for 13 years and then retired. He has a degree in business AND psychology,He’s extremely intelligent. But I was talking to him a few months ago and he said that EVERYBODY can expect to lose their job at least once in a lifetime. Whether the reason is their company fails, or is phased out, or many other reasons.So you losing your job is what the average person goes through. I realize as people with schizophrenia we may depend more on a good job than others and new ones are hard to find. But losing a job is like a divorce. It sucks at first but you can survive and come out the other end. If you go into the hospital it is just a temporary setback. Like my therapist told me when I told her I was deathly afraid of being hospitalized. She told me: “Quote” : “You go in. And then you come out”. End of story.
I hope your girlfriend can make this whole situation easier for you.That’s what friends are for. Don’t panic.
As to benefits. Call up Social Security with ANY question you have about obtaining benefits… Their national number is 1-800-772-1213. They will help you and tell you what yoiur eligible for.They aren’t super nice on the phone but if you tell them you’re situation they will patiently answer any question you have about SSDI or SSI. AND medical benefits. Good luck and don’t panic.

5 Likes

like szadmin said it is not the end of the world, i have been asked to leave from many jobs too.
they don’t deserve to have you anyway.
take care

3 Likes

Hi Sasha~~~
I dont think you have to have financial assistance if you commit yourself as indigent. My son never paid in the early years. Plus, they can give you a case manager in the hospital who can help you get through the social security thing. They should also appoint another one for when you get out. i am sorry about your job. I think you have been fighting so long. Didnt you say a while back that you found a doctor?

2 Likes

I stayed at Soteria House for a year and I never paid rent. Each month I got a bill for $600.00 but being 19 years old and in the throes of severe psychosis, I had no money to pay. They shut down about 5 years after I moved out and I haven’t paid a dime to this day.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that Sasha, I understand how that must feel as I was in a similar position over a year ago :frowning: But things worked out and I am sure they will for you. Just don’t give up hope. Stay positive. And a job will follow.

1 Like

I’m sorry you lost that job. I know it’s scary, but it sounded like it was also killing you. You are such a talented artist, this might be the sign to work on and start selling your art… maybe apply to illustrate books?

You have a lot of knowledge and talent… you’ll find another job.

3 Likes