Job interview and keeping Medicare

I have an interview in Phoenix on the 28th. Will probably have to fly there. I have applied for about 50 jobs in the last three weeks but this is the only one I applied for in Arizona. Primarily wanted to go to Pensacola, Fl. The job only pays $40k a year so it’s a little less than I wanted but better than SSDI.

Does anyone know how much it costs per month to keep Medicare if you go off SSDI? My primary insurance requires that I keep it for 7 years I think. Wondering if the premiums are the same as what I am paying now. I guess I am going to have to call or go to the Social Security office.

Won’t your new job give you better insurance than Medicare?

1 Like

If you make 40k you won’t be able to keep medicare

Wish I could make 40k though

My insurance says I have to keep it. I don’t know what kind of insurance the job comes with.

The ad says it comes with a full benefits package including health, sick time, vacation time and a matching 401k.

But I don’t want to lose my access to Tricare which is the insurance I have from the job I retired from. Tricare says you have to keep Medicare to remain eligible. Hmm

I just looked it up You remain eligible for Medicare for 8 and 1/2 years after your disability payments stop.

To remain Tricare eligible I have to continue to pay the part B premiums. I get my meds through Tricare. I don’t have Medicare part D.

@TomCat

If I remember correctly you’re an aviation mechanic? (I know you’re a pilot, also.)

Well, $40K is the starting salary, but you’ll be making twice that in 5 years.

I was at NAS Pensacola for a year, but Phoenix is nice too.

All the best.

Yea. I am a mechanic now @kindness. I am afraid of losing my VA benefits that’s why I am leary of going back to work for 40 grand. SSDI I don’t care if I lose it but that VA check is nice.

I really want a job in Pensacola but my son lives in Phoenix so I would be close to him.

1 Like

Well I bought a plane ticket so I am going to the interview. Phoenix is 1500 miles from me so that’s too far to drive for just an interview.

They told me not to dress to impress but show up ready to work. They are going to have me work on one of their planes for the interview. I just got my license so I am not very proficient yet. We will see how it goes.

If nothing else I get to visit my son.

2 Likes

Congrats on the interview!

1 Like