Is this guy after my citizenship. Please be honest

Basically, I want an honest opinion. I live in the UK and I went on holiday recently within the UK with my cousin (uk citizen), her fiance (indian citizen) and his friend who I don’t know. The friend sent me a friend request on the last day. And then he asked me what my dads name was and my grandads name too. I am not sure about why he asked that. Maybe in India they ask such things. But I don’t understand as he is of a different caste / religion so we can’t be related. He is here on a student visa. My parents do not trust him. But I really liked him but when I found out he is has no citizenship here doubts crossed my mind. I wouldn’t do anything about it because I cannot deal with the stress of going through citizenship for him.

I dont know what to tell you @anon80629714 there is the real possibility that this guy you like wants his citizenship - but then again he may really genuinely like you too - it could be a bit of both, he may like you and is thinking in his mind - Wow I like this girl and this could be a golden opportunity for me to get my citizenship too!
I think it would be wise to use caution here - if you like him I would still see him but do not lead him onto marriage - play it cool and at a safe distance, see how he reacts and take it from there - this is just my suggestion to you - good luck!

1 Like

Asking for your dad’s name and grandad’s name seems a little fishy to me. I see no reason why he would want or need this type of information if he just met you. Did you ask him why he wanted to know this?

3 Likes

I have no idea why he’d ask that to me either. It makes no sense. Although he does work for someone who has same surname as me and probably he wanted to know for them.

I don’t know what to do. My parents are against it. And my heart and mind is telling me two different things.

I remember some dude from India being very pushy asking someone questions on another MH forum a couple years ago, though I think he was looking for a date LOL.
he may just be interested in genealogies…
If he is trying for citizenship idk if he would try and use your family name or what…if he is he should just be open and honest about it and tell the people he knows.
hard to tell if he is just curious, or maybe he likes you and wants to know more about you, or if he has ulterior motives…

1 Like

This can be anything. How long you have been seeing this guy?

I wouldn’t say, true love does not exist but we should not forget that we are living in a real world. Unfortunately, in the world some people can be very cruel. They may take advantage of innocent minds specially when they find them vulnerable. I would advice you, please listen to your parents carefully. Their cautions and suggestions may sound unpleasant and we certainly cannot see the consequences at that moment but many times, they are really effective in a long run.

3 Likes

There is a great possibility of what you have said. Maybe, he is just curious to know about the other culture.

1 Like

Maybe he is just looking for a family connection. Take it slow. You just met. Be friends online for a bit and get to know each other.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, Ish isn’t British…so i don’t think it’s about culture of the country she is living in…but let her answer that :slight_smile:

I’ve only known him for the holiday period. That’s 3 days. But I’ve friend-ed him but I intend for it only to go that far. My parents are always right whether I like it or not.

3 Likes

I’m British :wink: lol A lot of people think I don’t seem it but its true. I was born here.

I’m british Indian and he is indian… but our religions and traditions are different.

I don’t think I can handle the stress of that. its early and its probably best not to even go there. My cousins fiance is Indian and my cousin is stressed beyond belief.

I say go with your gut feeling. I am married in an intercultural marriage to an indian, and I am from eastern europe. I have never thought this way that he could be after some other passport even though my mother did. But she only did, because she did not know him at all, and the fact that she would act that way if she would be in his situation. In fact my husband is not keen at all to give up his indian citizenship til today, after years of marriage. The reason for asking your fathers/grandfathers name can be anything. Maybe you ask him upfront what was the background of the question? If the answer is fishy leave it, otherwise not…

Jim Morrison said, “Never dive bare assed into the sea of love if you can’t swim.” Me, I love to swim, and I’m good at it!

Jayster

1 Like

I’m 30. I’ve never really had a relationship. And my confidence is very low because of this. Maybe theirs something wrong with me maybe I am psychically repulsive, ugly or whatever. So when someone takes a slight interest like this I have to put up walls and guard myself.

I don’t know you Ish… But looking at your picture- repulsive is the very last thing that comes to my mind. More like Lovely, Charming and cute as a button :wink:

2 Likes

Aww @becca that’s pretty sweet of you to say :slight_smile:

Im going with Barbie on this--listen to your parents!! In the end-its your decision, but please be careful. You are a very sweet person and there is no reason why you can`t be upfront with this man and ask questions…
Good luck!

2 Likes

He tried to call me yesterday via facebook. Don’t knlw of this may have been an accident and he pressed the button. i really don’t want to meet him in person again. Because I’m afraid.