Is there any options left after clozapine fails

Are there any options left, is there any med that is effective after clozapine fails

http://www.slam.nhs.uk/media/305730/when_clozapine_fails.pdf

http://www.jwatch.org/na35610/2014/09/08/when-clozapine-insufficient-schizophrenia-then-what

There are many, many options even after Clozapine fails.

There is a full list below, plus many people here are seeing success adding some supplements like Sarcosine and NAC, etc. which seem to target the same brain receptor as Clozapine - so another medication with the amino acids / supplements might be even more effective than Clozapine, without the Clozapine issues. See list of links below.

Sarcosine

D-Serine
N-Acetyl cysteine (NAC)
B-Vitamins
1 Like

In what sense has clozapine failed in this case?

Wow this is an awesome thread! Thanks for the info. I tried clozapine - but after a few days had to stop - white blood cell count fell very quickly.

Clozapine never worked for me. It destroyed my sense of balance so badly I couldnā€™t function.

it didnt work for me alsoā€¦ i was more paranoid than in my schizophrenia, ive stopped eating and had more panic attacks on itā€¦ i was also akathisic on it. i came back on zyprexaā€¦i didnt find that clozapine is a miracle drug,its a way too strong also :/ā€¦

Couldnā€™t tell if it was clozapine doing that or seroquel. I felt dizzy, I felt weak, I felt like I was going to die or pass out, and felt physically sick. I also have a sore throat, constipation, and mouth sores.

1 Like

I know this is an old post, but I would like to share with Karl our experiences with Clozaril. My son tried different anti-psychotics without success. We were told that clozaril is the ā€œgold standardā€ for psychosis, and it was finally prescribed during a hospitalization. We felt crushed and hopeless when his white blood count and neutrophils dropped into the danger zone after only a week.
A year later, after being on Zyprexa and Prozac and 8 ECT treatments, he was hospitalized again. I convinced the doctor to try lithium. We knew someone with severe treatment resistant depression who had remarkable success with this drug. A nurse practitioner told us that it also helps psychosis though it is not prescribed much in USA for that. We went to 2 psychiatrists who refused to prescribe lithium. It has completely balanced his moods (no surprise), but it also has helped with paranoia, practically stopped the ā€œmeanā€ voices, and reduced voices overall. He used to take 36 mg. of Zyprexa and 50 mg. of Prozac. He has over time reduced to 27 1/2 mg. of Zyprexa and 30 mg. of Prozac.
I canā€™t fully describe the difference lithium has made, but I would urge everyone who is dissatisfied with their current meds to give it consideration.

3 Likes

a new drug is in trials called luaf357000, it is supposed to be next in line for treatment resistant sz. so its basically a new clozapine. pimavanserin might also work for some people but it is not indicated for treatment resistant sz.

I hope lu af35700 makes it to market im TR and cant take clozapine because of my bloodcount, I have tried so many things and nothing works :frowning: well sarcosine did for abit but i got a real bad pain in my prostate so i was scared to continue it becuase prostate cancer runs in my family.
If anyone knows of anything else thats helpful for TR people please list it here :slight_smile:

i hope things improve for youā€¦you jut have to find the right med

hi! Do you take clozapine for sleep problems? For voices?