Is schizophrenia associated with an increased risk of chronic kidney disease? A nationwide matched-cohort study

Objective The impact of schizophrenia on vital diseases, such as chronic kidney disease (CKD), has not as yet been verified. This study aims to establish whether there is an association between schizophrenia and CKD.

Design A nationwide matched cohort study.

Setting Taiwan’s National Health Insurance Research Database.

Participants A total of 2338 patients with schizophrenia, and 7014 controls without schizophrenia (1:3), matched cohort for sex, age group, geography, urbanisation and monthly income, between 1 January 2003 and 31 December 2007, based on the International Classifications of Disease Ninth Edition (ICD-9), Clinical Modification codes.

Primary and secondary outcome measures After making adjustments for confounding risk factors, a Cox proportional hazards model was used to compare the risk of developing CKD during a 3-year follow-up period from the index date.

Results Of the 2338-subject case cohort, 163 (6.97%) developed a CKD, as did 365 (5.20%) of the 7014 control participants. Cox proportional hazards regression analysis revealed that patients with schizophrenia were more likely to develop CKD (HR=1.36, 95% CI 1.13 to 1.63; p<0.001). After adjusting for gender, age group, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, hyperlipidaemia, heart disease and non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) usage, the HR for patients with schizophrenia was 1.25 (95% CI 1.04 to 1.50; p<0.05). Neither typical nor atypical antipsychotics was associated an increased risk of CKD in patients with schizophrenia.

Conclusions The findings from this population-based retrospective cohort study suggest that schizophrenia is associated with a 25% increase in the risk of developing Chronic Kidney Disease within only a 3-year follow-up period.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/1/e006777.full

1 Like

Is schizophrenia associated with an increased risk of chronic kidney disease ?
-As I know,this is wrong question because;
1- This study did not identify the abnormal biochemistry of the schizophrenia
2- the researchers choose A total of 2338 patients with schizophrenia without identify
the nature of medication for those patients
-it is understood that,some people with sz take medication for one month,and other
take medication for 3 months,or 6 months or one year or many years
-there are many types of medication
-it is understood that,the medication have bad effect on the brain chemistry “long term”

Then,the right questions:
What is the abnormal biochemistry of the schizophrenia which make risk of chronic kidney disease?
IS patients with schizophrenia who they take different medication have risk of kidney disease ?

Hes baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack :blush:

@anon31257746
It is understood that,you have no idea to give any comment for the original article or else,and you focus your attention to open a marginal discussion between us,to give the @SzAdmin the excuse to intimidate me with suspension of my account or writing a long sermon

Are you play a bat of moderator in this web ?
It seem,you write nothing about the things,and have full freedom of speak,
to reject the otherness without responsibility or question

Haha I love it. I will spare you by ceasing to reply.

Credence to you.

Sincerely your King

But I do like firemonkeys posts it is helpful to understand the various possible issues that arise. I do not wish to detract from that. Sorry about that @firemonkey

Byword,your posts it is helpful to understand the various moodiness issues that arise from your honey mouth

But,are you the son of of web owner ?
are you the son of any moderator in this web ?

You sack of wine.

Your IQ is that of a goat.
You have been banished for eternity.
You do not deserve future replies .

Sincerely
Your King

I think its obvious that sz can contribute to many degenerative physical disorders as it causes possibly the most stress a person can endure.

It is a constant to the point that some absolutely need to be medicated to not be a danger to themselves or others.

And its been proven that stress could cause physical disorders such as heart problems and headaches among other disorders.

A bit harsh in my opinion