Is it the depakote?

So things have been weird lately…I have been so very sleepy…and I’ve been getting random waves of nausea, I don’t have much of an appetite and I have felt weird like I don’t know if it’s feeling calm or just feeling absolutely nothing, I’ve been feeling somewhat apathetic. I don’t know. I’m so sick of meds that make me sleepy.

It seems like you’ve been having a hard time with meds if I’m remembering correctly. tbh I get confused with all the annas, is that bad or what? Didn’t you just switch meds?

All meds make you sleepy in the first few months. After a while, you’ll know how it really affects you. Depakote was horrible for me, but it might be a winner for you. How are your psychotic symptoms?

I haven’t really been having much. Today my pizza was breathing which was kind of weird but other than some mild visual stuff I haven’t been experiencing anything. Weirdly it seems better than when I was on geodon.

That’s a good sign. Then, if sleepiness is the worst of it, maybe you won’t be bothered by that once your body adjusts to the dose. Keep an eye on the apathetic feeling, but also remember that you just made huge life changes. You moved far away and started a new, high-stress job. It makes sense that you would experience some mood disruptions right now.

@Anna - Depakote is a very sedating drug, and it can also cause some stomach issues like nausea.
Give the med some time.
You may get used to it.

Hi Anna I am new to the forum and thought I could let you know what using depakote… or “Epilim” in Australia was like for me.

It was a life saver as far as my mood went… I have Schizoaffective Disorder and it was prescribed as a mood stabilizer… this was after not managing doses of Lithium or Lamictal… and trying probably every antidepressant at their disposal.

Like I said Depakote is great at helping control mood and also anxiety… but as they adjust your dose you are going to feel sick. Have diarrhea… for me I had no option to run to the bathroom , it just started… and while I was at work too… I’d suggest a week or two close to a toilet when you start. You may get light headed. Sleep way too much… or too little. But symptoms improve with time :slight_smile:

I had to stop Depakote as I am trying for a baby with my partner. After being off it for a while now I can say it does do a good job at helping manage the mood/affective symptoms. It is hard to control myself without the drug. A negative… I developed Dishydrotic Eczema while using it… no one can tell me it’s what caused it… but my eczema has become less prominent since stopping the medication.

Please be mindful that bloods should be taken regularly when first starting. Epilim is a safer option to other drugs but it can still have serious complications. I’m sure your doctor told you this… and it’s for real. Also the levels in your blood will be based on weight… they will check your blood to make sure the drugs levels aren’t too high or low.

Regardless of how difficult this medication can be, it does it’s job great and isn’t as horrible as other options I have tried. You are brave for doing what you have to do to feel better.

Good luck with everything… hoping my first reply on here can help xx love from Oz.

2 Likes