Is it possible to become resistant to all antipsychotics?

Is it possible for someone to suddenly become resistant to all antipsychotics?!

I’m wondering that because my psychiatrist made took 15 mg of Saphris and I had no effect at all and I have no effect anymore from Saphris after being successful treated with only 5 mg of Saphris for years.

Thanks.

I’ve had to change several times due to becoming resistant.

1 Like

What other APs do you think you’re resistant to? Or is it just the Saphris?

1 Like

People have to switch meds all the time because the one they’ve been using stops being effective. It’s pretty common.

2 Likes

I had to stop Abilify because it was not effective anymore and now Saphris.

In just wanted to know because I am affraid that no antipsychotic will work again. I have no reason to think that other than worrying.

Thanks for your answers guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I just started Zyprexa and it doesn’t seem to be more effective than Saphris, so I’m worrying now if I’m resistant to all antipsychotics! :frowning:

Zyprexa is one of the most effective so if it is not effective for me, which one will be?!

My problems used to be all solved by antipsychotics. Now I’m in a breakdown because Saphris wasn’t effective anymore and it seems now that nothing is working since I still have symptoms with a high dosage of Saphris and then with 7.5 mg of Zyprexa…

Yes it’s possible to become resistant to APs but you have to stay on a new med for months to test the waters out.
Besides risperidone there aren’t a lot of APs that help me.

1 Like

@Wave

What do you mean when you say “to test the waters out”?

Sorry, I speak French and I don’t know this expression so I don’t understand what you said.

Test the waters out - see if the AP works or not.

1 Like

Usually I know it right away when an antipsychotic works. And also I can’t wait for months because while I’m sick, I am not working and so I get no money to pay everything. :frowning:

Zyprexa doesn’t seem to be so much effective since now. :frowning:️ It was in 2013. I don’t understand what happened.

You have to give an Antipsychotic a couple of months at least to see how effective it is.

1 Like

If I have to wait for months on an antipsychotic which is not working right away, I’m going to lose everything : my job, my career, my apartment, my car, etc. :frowning:

I can’t stop worrying a lot about everything! :frowning:️ I freak out when I lose the control of the situation!

stick in there man i believe you can get though this tough time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hold on @anubis.
You will pull through.

2 Likes

Sometimes doctors have to cycle between drugs. Like if you become resistant to a drug, eventually it will become effective again when it is out of your system. That way you can come back to that drug after being on a different drug for awhile.

1 Like

Thanks @Wave and @Opus for your encouragement. It helps me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Im wondering the same thing. Some aps seem to make my symptoms worse.

with time symptoms with no drugs at all become better
if you tried certain drug for now and near future then you changed it and again
you already consuming time too which solve all issue
sometimes doctor practising something else
using drug at high dose then decreasing the dose while the effect is the same
thats why
becoz the drug effectiveness decrease by time so the effect is the same
then increase if needed then decrease …etc
also
some doctors use first generation antipsychotic which is more resistant to resistance :slight_smile:
becoz
certain enzyme is related to resistance to second generation of anti psychotic as they found in post-mortem study
also
like antibiotic and resistance
there is option to use combination therapy
up to three or four drugs untill you recover
at last my doctor said drugs will never make you heal
certain people say drugs change structure which in turn hinder full recovery
unlike using no drugs at all !!!

1 Like