Is it possible to be in remission and on meds at the same time?

I was just wondering about this. Do you have to be med free in order to be in remission? Sometimes I feel that I’m recovering bit by bit…but then I still need the meds in order to prevent a relapse.

1 Like

I’m on meds and in remission of psychosis.

1 Like

Well then I am too. Just cognitive deficit and some negative symptoms holding me back.

1 Like

One definition of remission is a stage of lesser intensity. For most this would be accomplished with medications and/or treatment.

1 Like

Thanks @BarbieBF this definition clarifies a lot for me.

1 Like

I think this is the aim of psychiatry nowadays, to have mess complying patients in longer remission status. Good for you that you feel better keep it up

3 Likes

This is just me… I’m on meds and I consider myself in remission. I can remember recent stuff better. I can find some peace and quiet in my head more often and I can make today just as good as yesterday.

I do have some break through symptoms off and on. But for the most part… I can get through my day pretty well.

4 Likes

I think this is the most common situation. People who are not actively psychotic who are on meds and would probably not instantly become psychotic again immediately, but who take medication because they know that they would be likely to have an episode again (of psychosis) if eventually if they went off the medications.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that for someone to be considered recovered and in remission that you have to be off the meds. Then I see so many people on the site e.g. @SurprisedJ who is working whilst on meds and who is in remission. It really gives me hope that I’ll be ok in future even though I’d still be needing the meds. I don’t sleep 18 hours a day anymore like I use to and I can lately maintain a short conversation and crack the odd joke. This feels like recovery to me. I still rest a lot and try by all means to live a low stress life.

5 Likes

Good for you. Humor saved my sanity. I consider myself in remission after 35 years and I’m on meds. I keep getting better and better.

3 Likes

I think you said it yourself,you need medication in order to prevent relapse…

Living a low stress life help lots of people with Mental illness,I lived a low stress life too

1 Like

I think that’s defined as recovery, isn’t it? From the beginning with my sons diagnosis I just saw that the meds may be necessary for the rest of his life. And so what? I have been injecting insulin up to four times a day for fifty years, exercising and watching my diet. My son now takes two tablets a day, exercises and watches his diet. I think the key is to see it as a “condition” that you live WITH, rather than an “illness” that you are trying desperately to get rid of.

1 Like

Technically, remission is when the illness just goes away. You can be recovering very well (recovery is a process, not an end).

2 Likes

So in remission if the illness just goes away I guess I won’t be needing the meds anymore, right? But when I’m in recovery I still need the meds. This is how I interpret your response if I’m correct @mortimermouse.

2 Likes

That’s correct, you got it

1 Like

Ok, so if remission is if you no longer need meds, then are there different levels of recovery? @mortimermouse

You sound like you are doing well for yourself @Fellowman - I was in remission till I messed with my meds and lowered it to a sub therapeutic level. The goal is to get to remission with or without meds, most people need meds to achieve remission.
Taking meds is not a sign of weakness, it actually takes a lot of insight and strength to follow up with medication.
Best of luck to you! :grinning:

2 Likes

@Wave you shouldn’t be too hard on yourself. I paid a visit to my GP this morning. She is a big part of my support team. She treats my metabolic issues with a hands-on approach. She told me this morning that lately most modern doctors try to treat patients with lowest possible dosage in order to get the best possible results with the least side effects. Everything my pdoc discuss or prescribes me I disclose to my GP and vice versa.

I believe that in your mind and with the help of your pdoc, you have tried to do the right thing in that you lowered your dosages even if it was below therapeutic levels. I probably would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes since I believe the only thing that everybody on this site wants is to feel better. I hope that you will soon be doing just fine again. Thanks for your input and support.

2 Likes

Oh Man, thank you for your supportive kind words @Fellowman - maybe I am being a bit hard on myself, you are the best! :

2 Likes

Remission I am guessing can be interpreted all manner of ways. For me remission is the absence of disabling symptoms. I dont think being on or off meds has anything to do with it.

2 Likes