Is it better to be a great artist or a good person?

From the 60s you know the male artist would say to their wives I am an artist I had to sleep with her. It’s such a crock. I think it’s better to do no art and be a decent person.

1 Like

I think there is a real misconception about what constitutes art:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/art_is_a_verb.htm

Pixel.

I tend to despise people that label themselves as artists.

1 Like

I tend to like it all on a superficial level but look for something that I could never do.

There are many examples of great writers who were awful people. The Russian writer Dostoyevsky is considered the greatest writer who ever lived, but I’ve read so many people who said he was a horrible person. They say he made a fool of himself chasing other women in his wife’s presence. He was foul tempered and he constantly berated people and insulted them. I think there were more sinister things in his behavior too. The American writer F. Scott Fitzgerald was a hopeless drunk who insulted people and then begged their forgiveness when he was hung over the next day. His works always amaze me though. Hemingway was known to get in the boxing ring and show off against much weaker opponents. Edgar Allen Poe was an opium addict who fell desperately in love with his thirteen year old cousin. He wrote a poem about her called “Annabelle Lee”. As far as writing goes, I think writing ability has little influence on how good a person you are. There are very decent writers, but I have come across writers who turned me off immediately with their behavior. Most of the time I think it is more important to be a good person than a good writer.

What happened though because most you mentioned were modernists? Was it the war? Was it poverty? Was it ego? Dostoyevsky reformed and was able to write brothers Karam oof. Look at pound he was in jail for decades as an antisemitic. Pity was placed upon them. No pity from us?

You’re right. I shouldn’t judge Dostoyevsky. Much of his life was harrowing. He spent four years in prison in Siberia for a political crime. I am sure it is much easier to feel sympathetic for him from a distance. I don’t judge any of the writers I mentioned. I’m just repeating what I’ve read.

He also lost a son. James Joyce had a mentally ill daughter who cut the phone line when the publisher was calling her father saying I’m the writer. Robert frost had a mentally ill son who killed himself to spite his father.

Art used to have so much bearing it was a status and a living. I was serious business. Those days are over and hopefully the mistreatment of those in the vicinity. But I hear Nicholas sparks is divorcing his wife!

I don’t think it’s possible to judge a person unless you’ve lived their life in every aspect.

Yeah, I know but as the song goes…there’s still time to change the road you’re on. I also don’t base all of my relationships with people on one bad trait, or bad evening.

Is it better to be successful in your job or a good person?

I would like to be a balance of both

1 Like

I don’t know the answer to that one, cuz many women try to balance motherhood and professional life. I use to call my off time, quality time, with my kids. I think that counts too.

1 Like

May GOD bless you

Is it worse to piss away your gifts from God, or be a terrible parent?

Children are the greatest gift a person can receive and not something you should ever turn your back on.

Pixel.

good person. i think art can be selfish.

Yeah, but as James Wright, the famous poet said, “suddenly I realized that if I stepped outside of myself, everything would be blooming,” it’s a notion that what comes from you is a beautiful discovery, and once you internally recognize it, you can then set it free.

The light only shines from those who share

2 Likes

I would say just …let It go.

1 Like