Is gynecomastia(man boobs) reversible once u stop taking the drug?

So my question is does the gynecomastia(man boobs) which develop in some patients who r on antipsychotics such as paliperidone/risperidone reverse once you stop taking the drug ? I know its caused by prolactin.

So will the enlarged man breasts disappear and come to normal size if you stop taking the drug or switch to some other antipsychotic which is less likely to increase prolactin? Are those man breasts permanent ?

I’m not 100% sure because I just woke up and feel funny but yeah I’m pretty confident that I remember hearing that they go away due to the meds ■■■■■■■ with prolactin levels and then when the drug leaves the prolactin goes back to normal

1 Like

What was explained by my doctor was that it causes the cells to swell in that area but does not cause actual growth. However that is just a statement to get you to accept meds. Once they’re there you need reduction surgery.

1 Like

For the most part it’s reversible.

Reversible without the reduction surgery, right ?

For the most part yes

I think the boobs stay and once they are they, they stay there. Only surgery can remove them. I know that, because few years ago I was on sulpiride for 7 months and becouse of prolactin elevation, I got boobs. Now, I still have boobs even though I quit that med 6 years ago.

I have heard commercials for lawyers looking to sue about it in the lawyer capital of the world, USA.

Risperdal was better than haldol, not saying much. But it stopped my periods.
Luckily when I got off, they returned.

Does gynecomastia(man boobs) develop immediately after u start taking the drug ? Or it takes couple of months after you been on the med ?

True I gained 80 lbs and got the botch tits off a little under boobs but bench press, Pec flys walking and whatever else you feel like ding worked for me

Alot of walking

If i pimch my shoulder blades back its virtually a bra u less fat appearance

Ifmyou start bench pressing and then try to grt your bench up it might even lead to chain of events that will change your life