Is cbt just challenging your thoughts

Is that what cbt is.

My understanding it’s challenging the thoughts, replacing the thoughts with more positive new ones and putting new ones into practice.

2 Likes

CBT is about making rational decisions and being able to recognise irrational thought. It helps with problem solving aswell as stress management.

1 Like

I do CBT. We do nothing more than discuss about vicious cycles, emotions, thoughts and situations. It hasn’t helped me much for two reasons: Firstly although we talk about vicious cycles in my life, we have not spoken for solutions, how to get out of these cycles, and I must tell that my therapist. The second thing is that I don’t have a good memory, and I have to read again and again what we have done up until now.

CBT is very much embedded in common sense - I did extensive CBT and I found it to involve too much thinking - I prefer some DBT techniques like visualization and deep breathing - some mindfulness etc…

Honestly walking has helped stabilize some of my moods and anxiety at times, better than therapy

I found that the CBT I did helped me replace negative habits with positive ones. Dealing with Sz symptoms is only half of the issue. The condition warps our behaviour as well so that we become a traveling collection of unhealthy habits. You can remove the illness overnight and we’ll still have trouble functioning because of bad behaviours that have become so ingrained. Anything that challenges a person to make a change for the positive is worth doing.

10-96

1 Like

Watch these videos and you’ll learn exactly what CBT is: