Information on Xanax,help!

I need to know is xanax is addictive,I mean will it build tolerance in the long run maybe 3-4 years,that you need it more and more dosage…and also will xanax have any interaction with abilify or mirtazapine?i am taking both abilify and mirtazapine

Longer term, yes Xanax tends to be addictive. Read up here on it:

So,if I was prescribed xanax 1mg per day,I will tend to want to take more in 3-4 years or maybe 7 years time?

If I follow prescription there would probably be nothing goes wrong right?

I think thats right. The doctors will probably not allow you to take it for many years because the longer you take it the more the risk of addiction. But - I think your doctor will talk to you about that.

From Wikipedia:

Alprazolam is the most prescribed[13] and the most misused benzodiazepine on the U.S. retail market.[14] The potential for misuse among those taking it for medical reasons is controversial with some expert reviews stating that the risk is low and similar to that of other benzodiazepine drugs[3] and others stating that there is a substantial risk of abuse and dependence in both patients and non-medical users of alprazolam and that the pharmacological properties of alprazolam, high affinity binding, high potency, having a short elimination half-life as well as a rapid onset of action increase the misuse potential of alprazolam.[10][15] Compared to the large number of prescriptions, relatively few individuals increase their dose on their own initiative or engage in drug-seeking behavior

1 Like

Keep in mind though that everyone is different. Neurontin is not supposed to be addicting, or they qualify this statement as no more addicting then Tylenol. It wouldn’t surprise me if my son got addicted to Tylenol and his tolerance for Neurontin changes pretty quickly at least according to him it does. Mom I need more…

I have done some research into my sleeping pills, Zopiclone and my Dr. has told me it can be habit forming. Some people have been on it for years and are still taking the same dose as when they started and it is still working. Other have had different experience and quickly became unhealthily addicted to it.

I think it is good to be informed of the possible long term addictiveness however don’t automatically assume that this will happen to you after 3-4 years.

1 Like

Ok,thank you,I asked about xanax because ppl with schiz seems to be doing well with it…my mirtazapine had like lost it’s effectiveness after 3 months…now I am kinda worried and scared seriously…been isolating myself these few days

I take Klonopin, a cousin to Xanax, and I haven’t had any problems with addiction or misuse. It is possible to safely take benzodiazepines for extended periods of time and not become addicted.

There is a huge psychological component to benzo addiction. If you can control your behavior and usage of it, you are less likely to become addicted.

Of course, tolerance can be a problem. But tolerance and addiction are not the same thing. I’ve built up a tolerance to Klonopin over the years, but I do not increase the dosage. My doctor will just temporarily shift me to another low dose benzo, like Valium.

If you have an addictive personality, or are concerned about becoming addicted to a benzodiazepine, there are safer alternatives. Have a thorough discussion with your doctor about your options in treating anxiety.

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

Lol I am in xanax withdrawal because I took 3 of them to go to sleep the other night. Vomit, sweating, headache

■■■ this shiyt

1 Like

Very addicting. I knew someone on it for many years and when she finally got off it was along drawn out process, weaning slowly by reducing dosage, and even then they had shakes, dizzy spells, headaches. not something to mess with long term.
I think its also the strongest benzo…made in 0.5, 1 and 2 mg pills, whereas other benzos come in higher doses per pill like 5 and 10 mg.

1 Like

Be careful to anyone taking Xanax, it is one of the more addictive benzos - it can cause euphoria in many people,a real feel good med

1 Like

I’ve been taking 0.5mg Xanax for years at night. It is still effective and I have no desire to increase it. It puts me to sleep without the relapse dreams.