Increasing prevalence of schizophrenia in Canada

The burden of schizophrenia for Canadian society is significant. In a review of incidence and prevalence studies published in peer-reviewed journals dating from 1953 through 2006, Dealberto estimated the one-year prevalence of schizophrenia in Canada at 2.5 to 5.6 per 1000. The investigator found that published incidence and prevalence rates have increased during the past 4 decades. Furthermore, the prevalence and incidence in Canada were greater than international median rates, with Canada’s estimated incidence rate situated between the 45th and 100th percentiles of international comparators.

Dealberto explained the relatively high prevalence of schizophrenia in Canada by three possible factors. First, many studies have found that immigrants have an increased incidence of schizophrenia in both the first and second generations. Canada has a high rate of immigration, about twice that of the United States; 20% of Canadians were born in another country. Second, schizophrenia is more common in countries at high latitude, although the cause of this effect is unknown. Third, urban populations have a greater prevalence of schizophrenia, and 80% of Canadians live in cities.

Population-based studies of the prevalence of treatment-resistant schizophrenia in Canada do not exist. Most reports indicate that treatment resistance occurs in about 30% of patients, hence based on Dealberto’s findings, the estimated one-year prevalence of treatment-resistant schizophrenia in Canada is 7.5 to 17 per 10,000.

Given these data, and assuming a continuation of current immigration policy in Canada, governments at federal and provincial levels must plan for and fund the health-care and social-service needs of a growing number of people with this disorder.

1 Like

My theory is that there are just more cases of SZ getting diagnosed up there because of the free healthcare, and if the US had a comparable program, we’d see similar numbers. Too many of us go undiagnosed because of a lack of healthcare, especially mental health. I’d like to see if other countries with good healthcare programs also have increased rates of SZ.

5 Likes

Can I get an Amen.

1 Like

The reality is that the ‘free healthcare’ is slipshod and Canadians with money travel elsewhere for treatment so they won’t be stuck on waiting lists forever. It baffles many of us that the U.S. wants the same system.

10-96

3 Likes

My Grandma immigrated from Canada to U.S. She must have brought it w/her to Maine.

The free psychiatrist just wanted load me with drugs without any question.

I think a hallmark of a civilised society is that mental/physical health treatment is based on need not on the ability to pay.

1 Like

I’ve been needing the cardiologist I’m supposedly referred to to call me back for six weeks now. I would pay to see one faster if I could.

10-96

Almost any change would be an improvement upon the US healthcare system. It’s one of the most expensive, and yet one of the worst, healthcare systems in the developed world.

1 Like

It’s also where Canadians with money go when they want to jump out of the waiting line and get treatment before their condition kills them.

Not saying I’m not in favour of everyone having access to healthcare, just that it needs to be timely and effective or it’s of no use.

10-96

1 Like

It’s true that in certain areas of medicine the US has great quality treatment available, but not anything like within the price range of the vast majority of it’s own citizens, which makes it pretty useless for normal Americans rather than rich foreigners.

On the other hand though Canada achieves a similar (or better) quality than the US generally speaking, but with much less cost overall (and Canada isn’t exactly the best itself anyway). The US has the most expensive healthcare system in the world and still somehow has quite poor results. The state of healthcare in the US is shocking