In the Spirit of Honesty (TMI Sexuality Topic)

I do think I have the sexual dysfunction side effect from Risperidone. I haven’t felt anything sexual since I started taking it, and today I was curious. Even when I’m really depressed and not getting randomly aroused, I can still always get myself off, so I gave it a try. But it was like there was nothing there, like I didn’t really have a crotch or anything that would be responding, there was just nothing. Felt more like an awkward exercise and I felt more inclined to take a nap. So that was that, I think I have the side effect.

Thing is I don’t really mind. It’s like a bunch of weights off my back, to be an “asexual” being. No more caring about what men think of me, which has everything to do from my social anxiety to shaving my legs just to try to be 1% more attractive. And my body will no longer be randomly bothering me. It’s like a hunger, that you have to take care of, it’s mostly annoying. Not to mention how it affected me psychologically and my decision making. I’ve noticed for example that I’ve stopped wearing my hat when it’s hot out, because who gives a ■■■■ about how men think I look anymore. I have no interest in them that way.

Plus I was raised in a hardcore Evangelical environment, which sunk its claws deep into my subconscious mind. There’s something sort of romanticized about seeing myself as a battle-hardened maiden. I’ve never had sex and now I probably never will, I’m above it now, above primitive, mortal things. Dramatic, I know, but it’s kind of like that.

I had to really stop and think about it, though, to be sure. Took me several minutes to wade through my thoughts and reach a conclusion. I think my sexuality has brought me nothing but misery since I hit puberty. It gives me low self-esteem, makes me self-conscious, makes me conflicted. There’s something really liberating to me personally about being genuinely asexual all of a sudden. Like now I am just a creature, a being, and no longer have human complications clinging to me.

So I guess for me it’s more like a good thing than a side effect. But I figured I would be honest that it did happen, so there’s not this false impression than Risperidone has been a 100% flawless miracle for me. Well this, and the farting lol.

3 Likes

Sexual response is a tricky thing. At the risk of further TMI, do you know if you have nocturnal tumurence? That is arousal after waking especially from a dream. The reason why I ask is I was asked this from my GP when I was going through a patch of disfunction.

Apparently if you still get NT it’s better than if not. If you don’t notice any difference in this at all before or after medication, then it’s likely to have an emotional or mental rather than physical factor. I’ve found relaxation to be the key for me.

In any event it’s only a problem if you miss it. There’s no right or wrong answers here.

1 Like

You’ve just started 3mg , wait till your body adjusts to it before you draw any conclusions.

1 Like

This has been the case since I first started the medication, but was not the case on Latuda. But on Latuda, I did get akathisia.

Anyway I just wanted to be fully honest in my personal feedback on this med. I’ve seen others say they got this side effect, and yes I think I have it, too.

However I just feel okay with it so never thought to mention it as a side effect. Someone recently posted in one of my threads mentioning the side effect again and that they got it. And it just occurred to me that when I’ve been saying “no side effects” I really mean no side effects that bother me.

1 Like

I don’t feel anything sexual but I get my partner off, but she doesn’t give it back but that’s my choice.