I want a girlfriend but I don't know

I’m only 26 and iv been single since January 2015. My divorce is final now.
I’m a recluse and generally have no social life altho I get out often I have a job and I help my neighbors a lot. I’m high functioning
I’m scared of getting in another bad relationship plus I have sz plus I really don’t know how to talk to girls. It’s like being in high school again. I’d be too nervous
Any suggestions about what I should do? It would just be nice to have a companion or someone I see every day to look forward too. I have pets but still. I also fall into alcohol too easily and I think that having a girlfriend around would keep my health in check and take a load off myself. I’m still scared of a relationship tho. Advice? Sick of being alone and winter is coming

You might meet girls your own age at college

Oh, I don’t go to school tho. I have my own self employed business as a crab fisherman. I do it alone. Everything in my life is alone except for my family and neighbors. Which are great

1 Like

Just practice talki g to them on social media in a non creepy way. Girls these days are so used to guts just being straight dogs and jumping rifht into talking about sex so some interesting conversation gets them intrested. I ended a 3 year relationship with a girl in March and have " casually dated" 2 girls since. Alot of girls find some of my experiences intriguing in a mystical type way but mine have always had a spiritual type meaning to me. Just he yourself and dont try to impress unless you got the energy to back it up.

Since you luke drinking try going out socially and drinking a little bit it’ll loosen you up. Keep things interesting and casual. Relationships are usually friendships that go to a next level ua know. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself

That helps a lot. So basically just talk to them? Its almost like I always think that girls are off limits unless you actually ask them out . lol

Be confident but don’t be over confident or cocky

Asking them out puts too much pressure on them alot of the time so they freak out and say no. After talking for awhile and you notice mutual interest ask if they want to go out to eat or on a hike something casual. After that if it goes good then she’ll usually stick around for awhile and everything just goes naturally. Anxiety is normal but don’t let it be what controls your actions and words

I’m not sure going out drinking is a good idea if @Mindboxed has concerns about alcohol.

Maybe go to a local coffee shop instead? Or to a local musical event?

1 Like

Iv been keeping it moderate but it still concerns me. I would prob go to a coffee shop I love coffee too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah i meant if a bar is an option in your area of meeting people. I don’t think a few beers would be too concerning unless you have serious concerns.

I mostly don’t go to bars cause I’m afraid of the stigma and I also have to drive home. But it’s a good idea, just one beer ya know then water

Go places where there’s single women who are looking for a friend or boyfriend. Bars and clubs aren’t the best places to find a girlfriend if you are shy and don’t have a lot of confidence.

Maybe taking an Adult Education class might be OK. Take a fun class you’re interested in and there might be women with similar interests there and you could strike up conversations with them. Maybe get a volunteer job and you might meet women there.

My dad told me years ago when I was 20 years old that going to church is a great way to meet women. He didn’t mean going there to try to meet some girl for a one-night stand.But churches often have groups related to being social and you could join a book club group or some kind of art group or something and talk to the women there. They say the produce department in grocery stores are great places to meet women, lol. I’ve heard this more than once.

Walking your dog regularly in a dog park or other park is a possible way to meet women. I learned that walking a dog among female dog owners walking their own dogs is great because discussing your dog is a great ice breaker.

3 Likes

@77nick77. You beat me to it — I was just going to suggest this. :grinning:

Some of the adult ed classes are fun and there are usually some interesting people attending. You can take cooking classes, foreign language classes, art classes, photography classes, writing classes, etc.

1 Like

I’m still scared. Haha. I can’t think of any classes in town that are there and volunteering at a public place would cause anxiety. I think il start walking my dog in town. And go to the bar once, and not on a Friday or Saturday night. Too crowded. I’d go nuts. Maybe the bartender is cute. Then it’s easy. Lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really don’t know. I talk big but don’t do. I guarantee that without a stimulant I’m dead in the water. Haha. Coffee first thing in the am gets me some confidence to talk.