I often feel my art is worthless and a waste of money

being on ssd i often feel bad for buying musical and artistic supplies.
is this realistic or just my morbidity?

2 Likes

Does it increase your sense of competence and self-esteem? Good occupational therapy can do that. And who cares what ā€œtheyā€ think anyway?

4 Likes

i often feel accomplished with it yea. honestly, its hard for me to get past pop opinion. ive always told ā€œemā€ off but i still trip

For me, art is therapy, i couldnā€™t live without it, never feel or think that what you create is worthless or a waste of money, there have been many times, including the past two weeks where all i could do to get thru the day was to paint as i blasted music in my ears, it is a way for you to express yourself so have fun with it!

2 Likes

My favourite activity in hospital was art therapy.

2 Likes

When i do art is worth doing. It has value for me. I express myself i have interest and pass time. Sometimes its like chasing the wind (like building a not lasting sandcastle at beach) but i have something to do.
Its being occupied in the moment. Thinking money doing art ?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not your choice to be on ssd, the illness/condition took so much of your life away. So are you supposed to be punished more now? Youā€™re an artist and so your creative supplies are the same as any other necessity for you. Never feel guilty about that! :heart:ļø

6 Likes

I once saw an exhibit of paintings on paper grocery bags, unfolded - done with tempera paints. They were very good + about as affordable as you can get. Iā€™ve been meaning to save my tea bags + wash + iron them to paint watercolors on. Trash to treasures -

2 Likes

If it makes you feel good then itā€™s not a waste and certainly not worthless. I say keep going if it makes you feel good! :sunny:

2 Likes

Your art is definitely not worthless! Chin up, my friend.

2 Likes

@HuckFinnā€¦

The lead singer for The Pursuit of Happiness said he got over 100 rejections from Record Companies before one of them finally said ā€˜yesā€™. So hang in there, chum! I really enjoy your stuff! :wink:

3 Likes

Your song soothed me (for a while) so I think itā€™s worth something. It also gave me some nice vivid images.

My brother bought me a sketchbook a few months ago and sometimes I feel bad about it. Donā€™t like being treated like Iā€™m incapable or something.

1 Like

Never give up. Someday someone may feel your art is worth a whole lot more than worthless. But itā€™s definitely worthless if you just quit.

2 Likes

See I get that. Its irrational to feel bad about a nice giftā€¦ right? But we relate it to inadequacy crap. Its like a self hatredā€¦ but I do feel better hearing everyoneā€™s thoughts hereā€¦ this is truly a good site!

1 Like

Yeah, this site is extremely helpful, wish i had discovered it a lot sooner, keep making great art and expressing yourself and yes, your art is greatā€¦ You can even find the word art in the great :smile:

1 Like