I found out that therapy is a wasting cr@p

Other then getting the right meds, seriously, all this “talk therapy”, behavioral cognitive crap I found is not help full for me at all. Like, you hold some hope in that particular person, like if she/he could give you a magical advice based on her/his deep understanding of your problems… but thats not the case, at least for me. First, because you are just another patient on the line. Second, no waythat any other person could understand your dark, your holes, your demons and thoughts within the thoughts… And third, there are some things that you can’t even tell. (You tried, possibly, but you didnt get the right feedback so you never gonna try it again).

Maybe its just me. I need a professional who has seen it all. Only one individual was like that, but he was too far and …just too far.

Well, my rant is over.
At least there are meds.
And we are basically on our own lonely path all the way.

8 Likes

I have the same attitude to talk therapy.

3 Likes

They’re like a paid non sexual girlfriend who’s wiser than your average person. We hang out for an hour every couple weeks. She has good advice. I treat it like any relationship where I tell white lies if it makes me look better. Don’t just spew everything on my mind. I like it but guess it’s not for everyone. I get more out of our texting than meeting. I text her a lot sometimes think I annoy her. Today I told her what to watch on Netflix. We have a good relationship.

I liike my therapist. She does not give me advice on life or personal issues - she is very professional and well they are not supposed to interfere with certain things in our lives.

She taught me some skills and cognitive distortions. she is an occupational therapist. But she is a nice lady. :smiley:

I did EMDR 3 sessions and loved it. The therapist was amazing but it was way too expensive.

@Goyankees Really you can text your therapist? I have only my doc/ therapist extension numbers and most of the time I can only leave a message.

1 Like

I use my therapist as a sounding board.
She is someone I can open up to and receive practical advice from.
I have learned to trust her.
Shes not my psychoanalyst.
Just someone I can talk to.

1 Like

Yes my therapist is the best she listens to all my music when I send it to her too.

2 Likes

It’s a revolving door and they make bank.

I feel the same way about psychotherapy. As a matter of fact, a doctor once told me that 65% of nonresponders to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors have anti-serotonin antibodies binding to serotonin which interfere with serotonergic neurotransmission. Now tell me how a therapist could possibly help with that.:laughing:

1 Like

I saw a psychologist for over four years prior to my diagnoses. I shared my deepest darkest secrets with him hoping that he give that magic word/advice and all my pain will be gone. But to no avail.

All I’m left with is shame of revealing all that secrets. He use to encourage me to bring it out in the open. None of the stuff I brought out in the open has given me any relief from my past. My demons are still my demons.

3 Likes

My only expectation of therapy is to provide some tools to put in my toolbox labeled life. I have absolutely no expectation of therapy to do anything other than that.

I have no expectation that therapy will ‘cure’ me in the same way that I have no expectation that antipsychotics will ‘cure’ me.

2 Likes

My therapist is really good I guess. I told her I’d share my traumas with her but she said she doesn’t think I should share them with her. She doesn’t try to be a superhero. She was right too. Although she learned some when she read both my books… she has a really good clinical perspective. She’s bipolar 2 I think and definitely an alcoholic and addict. But she’s 11 years sober. She does wonders for my self asteem too!! She tells me I’m the bomb. And she wouldn’t just say that. She knew me in my darkest days and knows what I’ve been through for the most part. Other than aforementioned traumas. She’s real. She was the only person on earth who gave me the respect I deserved from years 2010-11.

2 Likes

I’m starting to agree with you. They mean well I think, but they expect their to make a profound change within you, which I don’t think will happen.

I think it helps for some things, but for me it’s a lot of the same things week to week.

My therapist doesnt expect me to be perfect…never tells me “u need to be sober”. She listens and observes me and sees I’m doing fine when I am and bad when I was. Only problem with her she forgets some things… but that helped me out one time.

She’s my #1 supporter of my music other than mom sister bro in law! Always tells me it’s “brilliant” or w.e and tells me I need to perform in public. She pushes me to take risks more…

1 Like

@Sarad that sounds more like psychoanalysis not CBT. CBT is supposed to give you some alternate coping mechanisms. But it doesn’t work for everyone.

1 Like

I’m raging at my therapist right now. I tried to talk about some taboo topics and she contacted my pdoc about what I said. Now I’m fearful they’re going to overact and force me inpatient. So much for a judgement free environment! :rage:

1 Like

it got me out of suicidal thoughts but other than that I was never interested

I started therapy when I was 19, and over the next 30 years I had about five or six different therapists for periods of up to a year. Only the last therapist made a difference for me. She was the CBT therapist.
She didn’t have to relate to everything in me, she couldn’t. But she was able to “coach” and lead me through my own journey…
At this point, I believe a good therapist will know their “craft” and they don’t have to relate to you as long as they know how to guide you through to empowering solutions/coping mechanisms. But, I do think it’s hard to find someone that good.

Yeah, I have been seeing psychiatrists and therapists since 1980. I’ve told several of them that I don’t really know if therapy helps. It helps in some ways but you really have to want to see it. And you have to look at your experiences with professionals really hard. I saw a woman therapist for 6 years. I would almost swear that the biggest way she helped me was when she told me she liked me.

4 Likes

But yeah, I always usually end up developing feelings for my therapist. I just left my former therapist that betrayed me and I’m seeing a “sex therapist” now. I’m feeling optimistic that this therapist will actually be helpful. We had great rapport in the first session which is unusual.

1 Like

Ha, yeah, she was beautiful. A gorgeous Indian woman in her thirties. I used to try to get her to laugh with stupid jokes, but she was a no-nonsense, somewhat reserved woman and she wasn’t having any of it.

4 Likes