I believe that people around me hear my thoughts

For the past 4 months I’ve had this… thing where I think that everyone around can hear my thoughts, I know it can’t be possible, and I try to be strong but sometimes I get the idea that it could really be possible and the only place where I calm down is when I’m alone when no one can hear me thinking. I’m just afraid of telling my parents about it. I do t know how they would take it.but the main reason I don’t tell my parents about it is because my brother has been diagnosed with sz and they struggle a lot with him to make him take the medicine they seee so stressed out about it all the time and I don’t want them to be stressed out about me too.

1 Like

i feel like this all of the time. one thing that helped me overcome this is just telling myself i have an illness and that it makes me believe such things! you just have to try and remind yourself you’re mentally ill and nobody can read your thoughts. take care xx

I’m not saying you have schizophrenia but this is a common symptom of schizophrenia. I think your parents want the best for you and they would not want you to suffer. I think they would want to help you. The consequences of not telling your parents this could conceivably be worse than just bringing it up with them. Untreated mental illness can progress and get much worse if not taken care of right away.

4 Likes

You definetely need to speak to a doctor. They’ll probably set you up with a psychiatrist who will then diagnose you or at least monitor things.

The first step though is telling your parents. They’ll probably be concerned but that’s a good thing. They’ll get you to a doctor.

1 Like

The thought broadcasting delusion is pretty common among schizophrenics and other psychotic disorders. I would definitely tell your parents and a doctor about your delusion.

3 Likes

if I were u I would get on meds before that delusion gets any worse, u said ur brother has schiz so there is a pretty good chance u have it to.

I had that delusion, meds and time are the only thing that helped it go away.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Sebastian :slight_smile:

Research has confirmed repeatedly that the earlier that people get treatment for the early signs of mental illness (especially schizophrenia and related disorders) the better the long term outcome for the person.

You can read more here:
The Importance of Early Treatment for Schizophrenia and Psychosis

Also, here is list of Early Diagnosis & Treatment Centers. Maybe there is one near where you live.
Worldwide Early Diagnosis & Treatment Centers for Psychosis & Schizophrenia

1 Like