How to order Western food? Teach me please

Now that I am travelling. Besides rice and noodles of the oriental style, only know how to order KFC and McDonald. I’d love to try out local delights, but so far have success with toasted sandwich and latte only. There’s Italian and African food, and if I understand correctly, fish chips is everywhere. Is pasta for the West as is noodles for the East? What is Tiramisu cake? Any recommendation on how to order Western food, let’s say at shopping mall’s food court?

1 Like

If you can comfortably order a latte you are probably beyond my level of expertise Plumber :smiley:

I find myself staring at menus wondering what the heck it is I really want and how exactly to order it and I’ve never even left the western world…

2 Likes

On the bus today I saw a guy with a Pumpkin Spice Latte and a Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwich. :coffee:

@BakedBeans Ohhhhh nevermind…I love steak and cheese but…with a latte? not a’ so much a’

@Plumber yes fish and chips is just as much a local thing where I live as it is a British thing…all I know is that tiramisu is tasty but I forget what it is…my favorite foods are Chinese/Thai-ish and pizza…

I don’t understand the question to be honest. I would just order the same way you order anything else. Some places you have to sit down at a table first, other times you have to be lead to a table. Sometimes the menus are on the tables, other times a waitress/waiter brings them to you. They will ask you what you want to drink and then give you time to order.
the tipping system throws me off depending on the place. Do you tip at your table or at the cash register? Depends on so many things. How much do you tip for a normal diner? What about a classy restaurant?

@mussel, then what you eat at home? Anyone cook for you?

Seems like high class branding food… :smiley:

I am staying in Asia, don’t have as much opportunity to consume Western food as all of you do. I don’t even know I have to pay for a tip!?

1 Like

Pizza, hotdogs, hamburger’s. Pasta is Italian but very popular in America.

1 Like

Donairs are good and poutine

1 Like

My favorite meal to make at home is my own brand of stir-fry…lots of vegetables and some chicken in a coconut oil with a homemade peanut sauce…but normally I just get something that comes in a bag to throw in the skillet…

But yes as I live very near to my parents now I often come over for dinner.

1 Like

Tirimisu cake is delicious. there is a layer of coffee icing in the center so it mainly tastes like coffee with cake? hard to explain.

1 Like

I completely misunderstood the question haha

1 Like

I LOVE Tiramisu cake. Coffee flavored cake

is a popular coffee-flavoured Italian dessert. It is made of ladyfingers (Italian: Savoiardi, [savoˈjardi]) dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar and mascarpone cheese, flavoured with cocoa. The recipe has been adapted into many varieties of cakes and other desserts.[1] Its origins are often disputed between Italian regions such as Veneto, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Piedmont

In a way… there are lots of different pastas. It’s made of wheat and there are long noodles, shell shaped, and tube shaped…

Usually served with different sauces either white or red, some with meat, some without. There are a lot of videos on the web about pasta and different dishes.

Good luck with your travels

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the information. Never realize that pasta comes in different shapes.

You might also want to try risotto.

It’s also an Italian dish… made with rice.

But the rice is cooked in a broth and made creamy and sometimes they add mushrooms and other veggies

It makes it very deep and meaty tasting…

Or they can add shrimp and lemon

Keep it very light tasting.

Are you traveling to Italy soon?

I don’t know Italian eat rice.

No, I am currently still in Australia.

1 Like

yeah rice is a staple in every cuisine I can think of. I think everyone eats rice.

Myself I love my Uncle Ben’s boil in a bag rice…it comes in a perforated bag you just throw in a pot of water and you’ve got yourself some rice.

2 Likes

Maybe throw in a pot of hot water? To steam it?

I am shocked to hear that your favourite food is Chinese and Thai-ish. I always have the impression that Westerner consume chocolate and burger more than anything else.

yes boiling water…

I do like a cheeseburger now and then but yes my favorite food is both Asian or Asian/American cuisine…we took my niece to an authentic Chinese restaurant in Boston’s Chinatown a few years ago and it was delicious…all the food came uncooked and us customers cooked it all ourselves right at our table.

The stir-fry’s I cook are very Thai influenced…hot and spicy with a peanut sauce…that’s why I say Thai-ish as I can’t call my own cooking authentically Thai.

1 Like