How to listen to Slayer/Slipknot without my morals being compromised?

I believe as SZs we are susceptible to suggestion. And since I’m 18 that makes me even more susceptible. I don’t enjoy evil, I think its the worst thing in the world, and I believe love wins. But Slayer F****N ROCKS!! Also I’m Christian so there is some guilt that comes with that. How can I listen to a band that has an album titled “God Hates Us All”?

The singer for Slayer said of that album something like “God doesn’t hate us man, I just thought the title was sick”.

what do y’all think?

I listen to Marilyn Manson and I’m christian. I just ignore the anti God lyrics…it’s more about the energy right?

if it conflict with your ideals you should stop listening to it. or change your ideals and become a full blown satanist or whatever these guys are.

Its just music and the theme that particular band picked is very dark (hell,satan and what not) but they picked that theme for the shock value.

Ozzy’s first album’s were dark for the same reason…shock value.

As long as you don’t take it seriously and live your life according to the theme of any group it shouldn’t compromise your principles.

Im a Christian also and some of slayer stuff I use to listen to ,I kinda got sick of it because my friend played it constantly, and for me he’s living proof that music doesn’t influence people unless their intellect is so weak that those people would be influenced by someone or something eventually no matter what.

He blasted slayer literally constantly he’d wake up and hit play then fall asleep listening to it …now hes a very kind caring father husband and productive member of society.

I still love/listen to Megadeth ,Metallica etc. And my principles aren’t compromised

Its just music unless YOU make more of it.

2 Likes

You can try Christian metal bands as well

Look up these bands :

1. For Today
  2. Love and Death (Brian head Welch from KORN band)

there’s lots more but I like those 2.

Actually god does hate all of us, it totally states this in the bibble.

Yeah, god doesn’t like us at all. He hates us all completely.

It uses the word “abhor” actually, that is a strong strong hatred to.

The guys from slayer had that one right.

I’m a metalhead as well but I don’t really pay much attention to the lyrics. I think as schizophrenics we have a lot of demons to exercise, and metal can help you do that. For me, it can be very uplifting, or it can make me feel very powerful and in control. Can’t put a price on that.

1 Like

Out of curiosity what makes a Christian band a Christian band?

Do they write songs only about God and salvation and such?

Or is it what they DON’T write about that makes them a “Christian band”

I always that they were just extremists because come on theres lots of proud Christians that make music the only difference I see is that they don’t label themselves.

That whole Christian rock/music thing seems kinda presumptuous I mean im technically a Christian.

Just because I don’t stand on a soap box downtown trying to force my belief down people’s throats and look down on people that don’t share my belief doesn’t make me any less a Christian.

1 Like

Just listen to the sound and don’t care about the lyrical content. It’s like listening to birds chirp without caring what they are trying to say.

I am not observant or even identified as religious so I love my Slipknot and Marilyn Manson and Eminem.

But if you want to keep it Christian look up Demon Hunter or Skillet. They’re good and Jesus approves.

My favorite track by Demon Hunter

2 Likes

“Hate Him back. It works for me.” ~ Martin Riggs (Lethal Weapon)

Pixel.

2 Likes

I like Demon Hunter. Annihalate the Corrupt is a good one…

Lol, I don’t care if Jesus approves. (praise jesus though ;P)

awesome post…

15 characters

I get manic sometimes when Im listening to metal, my psychiatrist says this is actually good lol

The cool thing about music and the emotions that it brings to the surface is that it does exactly that.

It brings pent up emotions to the surface and as long as its not taken tooo seriously. .ya know it’s given its just due and nothinh more then it is a tool for everyday coping.

Rap music is a perfect example I love rap,the stuff I listen to is like 10-15 yrs old but still as debaucherous and ‘evil’ as the current stuff and I have about 3 friends doing life now because before they had the mental faculty to make a life decision they did it .

And I can personally attest to the fact that the only reason why they are were they are is because they took the music too seriously.

They tried living the life of a fable.

listen to whatever makes you feel good,but be aware thats entertainment and nothing more.

1 Like

It’s both I’d imagine. Some are fairly extremist.
I just listen to them because they have a great sound. I have no preference to whether it is Christian or not

I love the sound of Metallica doing “Enter Sandman” and Todd Rundgren doing “Mammon” and “Fascist Christ.” (See and hear below.)

The former takes a purely paranoia-inducing position about letting one’s guard down. The latter blasts the materialists who twist spirituality into authoritarianism for their own purposes. I listen to both from Up Outside the Box of Identification with my Victimhood now. And have no paranoid ideations about being struck by lightning or sent summarily to hell whatsoever (anymore).

Wait for the f-ing commercial to play, then move the time slider to 1:07:30

1 Like

I listen to metal when I do my cardio. I just say it helps relieve my stress. I wish I was in a band…that would require me to learn an instrument. Just the thought sounds exhausting! I will just pretend.

2 Likes

I tried guitar and it screwed up my left wrist so i quit.

Everyone, i just found out (late) that Slayer is coming out with a new album, repentless, and the album cover features christ on the cross. I don’t know if it is out of disrespect that they made this decision, but theres no way im not listening to a new slayer record.

So stoked on this song write now. Just so heavy and brutal breakdown

1 Like