How to get to your ideal weight while on zyprexa

How to get to your ideal weight while on zyprexa?

I’m not sure that’s possible. It’s like asking how to remain a virgin while participating in a fifty person orgy. Um, good luck with that. I’ve never met anyone who didn’t suffer immediate, devastating weight gain while on that horrible med. I still firmly believe every person involved with developing Zyprexa deserves prison time.

Pixel.

1 Like

Weight loss and Zyprexa are never used in the same sentence.

I take zyprexa (olanzapine) 20 mg and I do not gain weight. I am probably one of the lucky minority. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I want to maintain weight due to olanzapine use. but i am afraid to train hard becouse of this heat controll problem. Can i do full intensity workout while on olanzapine.

I stopped taking it and I’m still not to my ideal weight.

:cry:

1 Like

I take my risperdal during the day now and I don’t get the munchies as bad at night.

It’s tough for me lose weight because I usually cave when I am under stress…plus I tend to get depressed with lower blood sugar levels…

I even think people in my family tend to sabotage us a bit… I swear the more weight I lose the more people offer me free food!

2 Likes

I gain sixty pounds in 120 days while on Zyprexa. It made me crave sugar and want to sleep a lot. It’s bad to cause diabetes, too.

Did your doctor recommend taking the risperidal during the day? I think I might start doing that because it makes it hard for me to wake up if I take it night but it’s also weird because it’s hard to fall asleep. I always wake up super groggy though.

I tried it first and the doctor later thought it was a good idea when I mentioned it to her. I still am getting my 3mg a day but don’t feel as bad in the morning. For sleep I take 3mg melatonin and 0?5 mg Ativan which I checked with the dr. First.

1 Like

Your only hope is walking 6 miles a day. I just started this program 2 days ago. I don’t know your guys level of functioning but if you don’t work like me you should have the time. This pill is a miracle for me, so I am going to try this program. Bring a backpack and bring food and water. Because it’s almost winter I am going to get ice cleats.

1 Like

Nope. You don’t need carbs for energy. Not suggesting this, but the Eskimos once lived on a diet of almost no carbs for most of each year, and did fine on it. Now that they eat a lot of carbs, they get diabetes. Your body can run on fat, burn fat for energy.

I cut out most carbs, and all wheat, corn, rice. I found that rye bread made out of nothing but rye (no wheat), does not spike my blood sugar. Same with rye cereal (rolled rye, sort of like oatmeal but made out of rye).

And I eat a lot of salads. And salmon.

But, I’m back to wearing my hoodies from high school days. They fit again.

2 Likes

I’ve been able to lose weight on 10mg of zyprexa by adhering to the keto diet. Don’t let others tell you that you can’t do it. The weight has come off gradually and my stomach is still swollen but it’s very possible for anyone who feels hopeless.

6 Likes

I take three different AP’s and they are all weight gainers. I keep weight off by counting my calories everyday with a calorie counting app. www.MyFitnessPal.com is one. There are others. I never drink my calories. And I exercise everyday doing something that I love. (My exercises of choice are: yoga, playing the piano, and taking the stairs in my apartment complex). I also weigh myself with a scale every week to keep on top of any weight gain. That’s my secret in a nutshell. I lost 50 lbs. with this method and I’ve kept it all off over the past three years using this strategy. My BMI is 22.3 Actually, with this method, I have to be careful not to lose too much weight.

2 Likes

I would say losing weight on zyprexa would be tough. In my experience I was eating relatively healthy and playing basketball 1-2 hours a day and I still gained 20 pounds.

1 Like

Before I was on APs I was skinny. During the brief time I was off them, I was also skinny. I’m on Zyprexa and I was bigger than what I wanted to be (by about 15 pounds). I now have a trainer. I exercise 3 times a week (weights and/or cardio) and I want to do cardio even more. I am not losing much weight but my fat percentage dropped 5% in 6 months. I also dropped two pants sizes. That is a big deal. I still want to lose more weight but it will just take due diligence and time. I’m glad other people know what I am talking about. Being on Zyprexa is tough.

1 Like

You can can exercise but thats not going to do much at least in beginning. Water should be only drink at least 20 to 24 glasses a day. Ketogenic diet worked with most veggies and some meat. Dont forget carbs but dont go overboard.

No soda of any kind!
Watch out for sugar!

Went from 225 mg of effexor to off completely. Withdrawal wasnt so bad.
While on lithium 1500 mg and zyprexa 5mg.

Might go off lithium a little someday. Dont go off zyprexa its a great med for bipolar and sleep. I think is just

It sux cause zyprexa was one of the meds that actually " worked " on me.

But the weight gain, holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck…

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy it and find help here.

I was a ethical vegan while I was in olanzapine and I was at least 15kg overweight then despite that I had a dietitian back then who told me my diet was very good.
Even when I was going for theee hour walks twice a week that did not seem to help not when I went to the gym for a while either.

Then I started eating meat again and went up to 73 kg which is 23 kg I put on from before medication weight.

I thought olanzapine was a good medication.
A bit sedative which helped me and it helped me a lot except for weight gain.

I used to gain a lot. The 2nd time I went on it this time I went from 276 pounds to 208 now in 5 months. I think this time I just diet and worked 7 days. Work helps stay busy. 5 mg is the most I’ll ever take.
Without zyprexa I’m doomed.

I used to take Olanzapine too, but last year i switched medication because it was making me put on weight. I struggled with the hunger - always feeling hungry and always being able to eat.

I think it is harder for people on Olanzapine to control their weight than on any other medication. Not saying it’s impossible, but it is going to require a hell of a lot of will power on your behalf. You’ll need to organise your diet so that you eat healthy, low GI carbs, reduce sugar intake, increase vegetables and fruits and having good dietary fibre. Then you’ll need to incorporate some exercise into your regime, as changing your diet alone is likely not going to make a huge difference.

For me, these changes were too much at the time. I was still struggling with breakthrough symptoms, which is why i ended up changing medication. I just didn’t have the motivation to abide by a strict diet and exercise. However, if you’re up to it, then good luck! Hope you achieve your weight loss goals.