How Smartphone Apps Can Treat Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia

4 Likes

Any subject alters their behavior when they are being observed. It would remind me that I had an illness in the first place. What Paraniod Schizophrenic worth their salt agree to being monitored by doctors like the NSA? I know this is harsh, but I have to bring up these concerns.

I think it is good for people who are less self aware and more likely to relapse frequently. It is widely known that stress causes symptoms to flare up. This would have to work for medicine failure or if someone was dependent on extra medications for bouts of anxiety, but people usually know when they’re feeling anxious.

It might work for a sz patient that doesn’t have paranoia. If I had a kid who was sz or bipolar and had moved away to go to college, for a job, or whatever, I would feel better if they had this. I know I would feel better if I had this but if it alerted my Mom instead. Or if I ever decided to apply for one, my case worker. Just an alert to give a quick check in call.

1 Like

If you lacked self awareness as in anosognosia would you consider using such an app? I can see it as useful for those with cognitive/organisational problems re medication or remembering pdoc/therapy appoints/monitoring for signs of relapse.
I

I didn’t mean anosognosia level of a lack of awareness, just someone who wouldn’t be practiced like a child, or a Frat. No, LOL my younger brother is a Frat. It would be for a person who doesn’t like therapy and would not have learned the self awareness that it can conjure up.

Good point how it alerts someone else in case you were dipping into anosognosia.

1 Like