How much do you have to eat with Geodon?

I have been falling asleep during the day recently, and it was suggested to me that it may be because I only eat about 200 calories in the morning with my Geodon. My pdoc told me I only had to eat something to settle my stomach beforehand, but the NP said it had to be at least 500 calories, so I don’t know who to believe. @mortimermouse I would be especially interested in what you have to say. You take Geodon, right?

1 Like

I take ziprasidone, (Geodon) and I have to consume 500 calories of food every dose which is two times a day. It’s a recipe for weight gain I swear.

Great question- I take it immediately after eating a full meal, that is, at least 500 calories with all three macronutrients: carbs, protein, and fat.

Lipid solubility is the proper name for medications which are ingested or injected with fats. Depot injections are mixed with lipids to make sure they have a long lasting effect and do not just spike in your bloodstream and then excrete.

1 Like

At the assisted living center for the mentally ill where I live they just give us a light snack with our med’s. That’s about two hours after supper.

I take 240 mg geodon with 300 calories. 300 calories reduceres The effectivness with 25 percent. That means that it woris like 190 mg geodon. With 500 calories

Well, yeah, eating a solid 500 cal twice a day when sedentary might be an issue, especially if you are female and or older than my vigorous age. The med itself is not known for causing much weight gain, its statistically supported to be one of the more weight-neutral APs.

Dude I workout like hell though, I eat like 3000cal a day when I workout so its not problematic for me.

I take my daily dose with my evening meal. Find that I don’t “spike” that way and have more consistent control of symptoms over 24 hours. Taking it on an empty stomach is bad joss, as the Chinese say. I don’t know how many calories are in my meals now. I just pile a plate high with veg, some carb (on carb days) and some protein and go. Refuse to waste time counting calories from now on.

10-96

Thanks everyone. My main problem is that Geodon massively curbs my appetite, so 500 calories seems like a daunting goal. It was great for losing my Risperidone weight, but not for staying active. I think I’m going to have to count my calories from now on, and stick to high-calorie foods like beans and pasta to go with my produce.

1 Like

I was told I have to take 300 calories my dose is 40 mg twice a day so I have to eat 300 calories in the morning and 300 calories at night but I have been really tired it’s really been putting me to sleep during the day? Do you really think this is why? I am new to it this month I lost weight I was 279 pounds and I lost down to 250 for I do not want to gain it back by just happened to eat with medicine at 9:30 10:30 at night the morning medicine is fine because I’ll just eat it with breakfast I’m just worried about the evening before bed.

My Dr in hospital said that I had to take it with my evening medication before bed and it had to be taken with 300 calories. Can I just take it with supper and it not make me sleepy? My supper is more than 300 calories. I just don’t like the idea of eating all the calories while while I am sleeping gaining weight back I have gone from 279 pounds down to 254 and have worked hard to do it.

I do think that could be why you’re tired. Studies show that 500 calories is needed in order for geodon to fully get into your system. If you eat all 500 calories, it shouldn’t make you sleepy until a few hours after taking it.

Also, 40 mg in the morning always made me exhausted and dizzy, no matter how much I ate with it. I had to switch to 60 at night and 20 in the morning, and that works much better for me. If eating more doesn’t help you, that might be worth looking into. It can be tricky to get your insurance to agree to pay for two different doses of the same medication, though. My doctor had to argue about it for a while.

Thanks see my Pysch on Oct 11

1 Like

I am also sorry I didn’t realize that I posted twice to the same exact Forum thing I’m new to this.

No problem. Double posting occasionally isn’t an issue here.

You should print out that study and take it to your doctor. Some doctors aren’t aware about this. My own doctor never even knew, and he was brilliant. I feel much better now that I take my meds with 500 calories at all times. You may have noticed that my original post was from two years ago.

It has been clinically proven that you need to take at least 500 calories for geodon to function at 100% efficacy. Anything less and you’re basically taking half of your prescribed dose.

For me the sleepiness was actually worse with 500 calories because I was getting the full dose and not some. If geodon makes you sleepy, then it makes you sleepy. I had to go off that med because the sedation was so powerful I actually wasn’t able to safely drive anymore.