How long is the average antipsychotic treatment for Drug Induced Psychosis?

I was diagnosed with drug induced psychosis. How long is the average antipsychotic treatment to avoid relapse. My psychiatrist does not want to tell me a certain or even an average treatment period. He told me that the treatment period depends on me and mainly on being able to get back normally to work and exercising. I have no intention to going back to drugs. On the other hand, I’m feeling very depressed especially because of the weight gain and the other side effects and can not focus on either work or exercising or getting back to my normal life without knowing the average treatment period. Is there an average treatment period?

1 Like

i thought drug induced goes away after being off of the drug that caused it for a while idk my psychosis started when i was using drugs and i still have it almost 2 years later the meds have made it not as bad tho

i think i heard that they keep you on meds for at least a year and if u relapse after going off them after a year than you have to be on meds long term

Twelve years ago I regularly took adderall until I started hearing voices. I took antipsychotics for 6 months until the voices went away.

More recently the voices came back and when I tried going off APs they came back. This might be permanent this time.

1 Like

I had a psychotic episode from codeine once and when the codeine wore off the episode was over. I’m not sure if that’s the same thing you’re talking about though.

I think they play it by ear on that one. They observe you, and if they think you have a chance of being sane without med’s they gradually wean you off your med’s. But they don’t do that very often. Most of the time once you’ve been put on ap’s they keep you on them for the rest of your life.

You’re on a schizophrenia site, our psychosis generally doesn’t go away and we take APs for life. Probably something to ask your doctor?!?

Hi I have some important info to tell you

I was diagnosed with drug induced psychosis from lamictal an anti seizure medication I shoudnt have taken in the first place
in 2008.

I was hopeless and had manic feelings even on Seroquel XR and abilify. for years until I tried Sarcosine 1 grams twice daily for 2 months. It reversed some of those very ugly symptoms that ruined my life.

The Sarcosine I got was highly experimental with the approval of my psychiatrist. and I got it from Brainvitaminz (I do not work for them I only praise them)

I am currently 4 days on NAC for negative symptoms I already feel some difference. I hope my advice was good to you