How long have you had schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder and was it difficult to accept?

I forgot to say that I am ‘in the process’ of accepting it. I still think I am not MI or that it will all go away tomorrow. Every day that I wake up still sick, I get closer to accepting it.

1 Like

I felt like there was something wrong with me from the age of 15. I had these constant, crushing bouts of anxiety. I’m 58 years old now. I don’t know if I have ever totally accepted the idea that I am schizoaffective. There is still a lingering doubt in my mind, but that doesn’t make much difference, because the mental health system has tons of documentation on me that says that I have this diagnosis. Even though it has always been a disaster when I did this, I still feel a lingering urge to get off my med’s. I have to keep in mind what I could have in my life if I stay stable on my med’s, versus what could happen if I get off them and run amuck again. That kind of thinking helps me stay stable on my med’s.

1 Like

Amazing thread. Thank you for sharing.

Here is my episode discussing the diagnosis and acceptance of schizophrenia: https://youtu.be/y7zftcwk90U