How does counselling help u?

I feel disoriented. I don’t know how they can help me. Can you shed some light how you benefit from counselling please?

4 Likes

Its a chemical imbalance. .sometime counselling doesn’t help…

3 Likes

When I talk to my therapist, it helps me just to know she (in some way) gets what I am talking about. I feel that I am able to get things off my chest and also get some insight from her into what I am dealing with. I take my meds, of course, but this does help me also.

2 Likes

Words can make a chemical difference in our brains.
Counselling can be a good addition (not an alternative) to the medications.

4 Likes

I think you have to be ready for it. When I spent a year in a hospital I didn’t know how to explain my problems and talk about what was bothering me. In my case, counseling didn’t help much. Try to think beforehand what you’re going to say. Develop a list of things you want to talk about. You might not get another chance at counseling, so try to make use of the opportunity you have.

3 Likes

Almost NO help. NO coping information shared at all except - ‘you have to consider (all the other peoples’ hatred toward you – THIS) to be something wrong with you now’.

1 Like

@crimby makes a lot of sense. My first year out of the hospital time with the therapist was spent just socializing. Looking back I guess that’s what I needed and all I could do. Now I’m more ready to talk. So far I haven’t gone in with a plan of what to talk about, just letting it go where it goes.

1 Like

I try to conjure up what to tell the counselor. But I don’t think it’s fruitful. I often forget what i was thinking but feel very real when I play back what’s in my head. If I face what had happened to me, it’s very terrifying.

1 Like

Just accidently deleted my post, so here goes again…

Counselling deals with specific problems and the councillors need accrediting, where as therapists deal with the underlying problems, mine was a Dr in Clinical Phycology.

I think that councillors talk a lot more and I had shitty group therapy for bulling when I was at school, the experience was detrimental.

After becoming unwell I was put on the waiting list for therapy and after 1.5yr wait on the NHS I did CBT, Schema and Exposure therapy. They gave me additional coping mechanisms that I should have been enrolled in when I initially became unwell.

2 Likes

I need to get back into counseling/therapy. I miss it terribly and am not functioning as well without it.
A therapist allows me to talk about things that no one, not even my husband, wants to hear or can understand. Especially because I’ve kept so many secrets my whole life and only just started talking about things I thought I’d never talk about, having a therapist would be further catharsis for me.
Talking about things helps me organize my thoughts and circumstances, and helps me to not get trapped in my own little world…

2 Likes

Started at walk in counseling at hospital month ago

They moved me to long term:
For grief and loss of former self
Frustration with daily routine
Difficulty involved in functioning as a mom even though I force myself to do my best
Someone to talk to about my symptoms, it’s very hard and I can’t talk to anyone like hubby in my life to know how hard things really are

Helps so far. Just to have someone to talk to. She is going to try to see if she can help me with my days being better with negative symptoms… making most of my days.

Interesting I don’t feel a lot of emotion but I cry there sometimes talking about my frustrating functioning.

My symptoms can’t be counseled. But need someone to just talk to
Hope that helps.

Via voice to text