How do you react when people talk badly about you

I do nothing, I just listen, once one person asked ‘why don’t you defend yourself’, it is just not my way, I only try to speak positively and optimistically … what about you?

6 Likes

I put on headphones or walk away.

my psych is really fragile; so when people spit in my face, they can ruin my entire day.

2 Likes

I feel people are taking ill about me …sometime it hurts …!!

2 Likes

First thing that I do is look at the source.

7 Likes

It’s been a while since I had someone talk bad about me right to my face; perhaps some people talk bad behind my back, I don’t know, but it doesn’t really matter if they do. I think I’ve just reached that age at which I no longer care about such things. I’m sure my coworkers speak ill of me when I call off, the many times I’ve called off from the pharmacy, but whatever; they don’t know what I deal with on a daily basis. Their toxic words would do more damage to them than they do to me, anyway. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i am trying to avoid such situations, and when people talk badly about me i do something else, like putting my head down and walk away. Doing so i like to avoid fights :innocent: peace :v:

4 Likes

That is good, I want to avoid fights too, but I really do not like people who talk badly about me, I could tell many stories, but anyway I succeeded to lengthen the life of my father.

3 Likes

I get a pain in my ears. I went to a doctor about ear pain and he said there’s nothing wrong with them, i.e. no infection. But the pain was very intense.
It also bothers me when someone gossips about others to me. I wish I had spoken up and told him to stop it.

3 Likes

one of the best reactions to negativity - I am still learning this because I have crazy reactions at times.

I used to talk back at my mom whenever she shouted at me, but I stopped doing that. got boring. I know she talks about me, behind my back, too. just don’t care anymore.

I try to ignore it so I don’t get ragey. I don’t like being criticized very much.

I’m very similar. I usually ignore it when people talk badly about me.

1 Like

I can’t defend myself if someone speaks badly about me. I get flustered and noise level increases… I don’t take it well. It doesn’t happen very often, to my face, thank goodness, but it takes me a few days to recover because Seraton always chimes in and continues and intensifies criticism. I try to avoid being someone who would be criticized.

I usually just ignore but that’s for different reasons to you. If my problems were, let’s say a raging fire, the word’s would be a few twigs. I’m too preoccupied to take much notice alot of the time.

I stopped caring what strangers think of me but people I have to interact with I’m just honest, that usually works.

1 Like

Honestly I try super hard to do the turn the other cheek thing but if they keep doing it I will express my feelings on the matter. I’ve learned that boundaries are important.

Why are you asking??? What have you heard about me??? Is it that thing with the Sour Cream??? It only happened once!!! Lies nothing but lies !!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I envy those people that can roast each other and just laugh about it all. I don’t know how they do it. I always get irritated and I struggle to hide it even when I try to distract myself. And then people tease me more for getting mad, grrrr.

1 Like

@Orion11 my friends and I are like that with each other. Especially my work friends - we are forever giving each other crap, making smartass comments to each other, but it’s all in good fun and makes work more fun. I suppose my friends outside of work don’t give me quite as much crap, but it’s not because I can’t take it, seems to be more of a matter of respect. I don’t think of that stuff as people talking badly about me, though. You just can’t take that stuff too seriously, especially if you see they do it to each other, not just singling you out and being nasty about it. I realize that’s easier said than done, though.

1 Like

If they say it directly then I can respond to it appropriately and will want to turn it around.

If it’s indirect or something happening behind my back, then I can be confrontational and assertive.

1 Like