How do you feel about Trumps proposed cuts to SSI SSDi and Snap?

As of now Trumps budget includes cut’s to SSI SSDI and foodstamps along with housing. His proposal is to cut 40 billion dollars from disability. They’re looking to cut people off from disability. Accord to Trump fraud is running rampant with disability. How do you feel about it?

Personally I’m worried sick. If I loose my ssdi I lose my insurance. I lose my insurance I can’t get my medication. I’ve been taking my medication for 20 years. I’ve been doing fairly well on it. I will do myself in before I chance another psychosis. If I don’t get my medication I could become dangerous. I’d rather do myself in then end up in jail with a severe mental illness.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/news/economy/donald-trump-voters-budget-cuts/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

2 Likes

I am on SSDI and Medicare and I am worried for sure. It’s very scary.

1 Like

I’ve already lost my med insurance (through divorce) and SSA dropped the ball and gave me inaccurate info regarding coverage 4 times during obamacare sign up. I’ve not been to a DR. since Feb 2014, and do not see any help for me while trump is still in office.

I agree that fraud is running rampant with disability, but it’s not the answer to cut it from those who deserve it.
If trump wants to do some budget cuts, he could start with senate,congress, and of course, his own paycheck.
Equal cuts straight across the board.

1 Like

I think it is only 1 % of disability cases are fraudulent. As for the cutbacks for the rest of us, the Democrats in congress will work hard to ameliorate the harshest aspects of the Trump cuts. If I lose access to my med’s it won’t be pretty. I’ll be one of those guys who eats out of trash cans and stands on street corners raving.

1 Like

If I lose access to meds, I’ll be out fending for myself against imaginary assassins and it won’t be pretty. Last time that meant escaping the house at 2 am to avoid murderers and going on foot without a cell phone or even contact lenses. ugh.
I do not want to go back to that.

2 Likes

I hope it doesn’t get approved, he truely only cares about the rich and healthy.

3 Likes

I’ll have to move back in with my parents!! And. That won’t be good!!

1 Like

If i lose medicaid and ssi i will be on the streets. Unmedicated and insane it will only be a matter of time until i will end up in prison.

1 Like

I don’t like Medicare so far but if you come off of SSDI I understand you keep it for 8 years unless the rules change. I have applied for about 10 jobs in the past two weeks trying to come off of SSDI. Haven’t even gotten a phone call.

My resume says I am a pilot. They probably think why does a pilot want to be a mechanic. Dead giveaway to the presence of a disability I guess. I will keep applying.

2 Likes

And Dr. Carson thinks poverty is a state of mind. Coming from a doctor I think that’s funny. If i didnt have schizophrenia, i would probably be well off. Maybe i would have similar views. But for some of us, it is not a state of mind. I rely on gov and family. If I didn’t have family, I would be screwed. If I didn’t have gov, I would put my family in a financial hard ship and I would probably be on the streets. I voted for Trump like many others. Do I regret It? I don’t know.

As it stands now, I am better off than most. I get to take Vraylar and see docs. I pay rent and have a purpose. I am poor in America. But I am hoping to go back to school and get a job.

Losing Medicare does not necessarily mean not being able to take your meds. I have no insurance, have had no insurance for years, and I am on four medications. There are cheap meds out there, and for those meds that are brand-only there are patient assistance programs through the drug companies, as well as free samples that they give to the clinics. Sure, I can’t take the exact meds I’d like to take (I’d prefer Abilify tablets over injections), but I get by. There also are community mental health centers where people with no insurance can see a psychiatrist free of charge.

I understand the fear of losing SSI/SSDI, though. I know there are abuses, I’ve had a couple friends who were on disability more because they didn’t want to work rather than being unable, but the majority of disability cases are legit.

I have mixed feelings about cutbacks to SNAP. I used to work in a 7-eleven, where dozens of times per day I would ring up people for junk food only to have them pay with a food stamp card. I’m talking often piling up $30-40 worth of candy, chips, beef jerky, Slurpees, etc … it made me sick, frankly, lost my sympathy for such people. I recognize that some people on SNAP use it for real food to feed their families, though, hence me saying my feelings about cutbacks are mixed.

It’s ultimately stupid. Penny wise and dollar foolish. The human as well as the monetary cost will end up increasing as medical issues get pushed into emergency care.

I do not think fraud is rampant in disability… I think there is some, but after a certain point of due diligence, it would cost more to root it out than to just pay disability benefits. If it costs 10 million in new staff and procedures for every hundred thousand saved, that’s not a good deal.

3 Likes

And, I think they are not really going to try to stop fraud, they’re just going to deny people and make them jump through more hoops to get benefits back. Which will mean that people who are unable to advocate for themselves, who don’t have family to help, or who can’t get a disability lawyer, will lose benefits.

There’s a bias against disabilities that can’t be seen for sure.

2 Likes

I’m worried about the cuts. I can’t afford my meds without Medicaid and I can’t afford to live with my in laws without ssi or snap. they expect money and food stamps as part of my paying rent.my father in law said I need to find a job, just in case.

I’m looking into ways to replace my SSDI also. Unfortunately, I’m unemployable because I haven’t held a full time job in 24 years. It’s gonna be a challenge.

@Anonaccount I haven’t had a job in 7 years and no one is willing to over look that.

It’s pretty scary.

It’s gonna be dead on arrival.

yes, it is not going to make it through Congress…D.O.A. they’ve already said it about the budget…Trump is a fiend on the poor. and now the disabled !!

1 Like

I’m serious, how do these people live through life knowing they are screwing the poor and disabled!

1 Like