How did schizophrenia start for you?

When did you/your family/your friends start to realise that something was wrong?

Did it happen gradually or all at once?

I would share my story but since I haven’t got a diagnosis, I don’t know how to explain things properly.

2 Likes

No one realized anything was wrong with me until my first major episode in hs. Got one of my closest friends involved in one my delusions at the time and she was the first person to ever tell me that I needed help and the first person who ever made me question my sanity.

My parents liked to sweep things under the rug and pretend all of my psychotic behaviors were personality quirks because they hated the mental health system and were ignorant in general.

I’ve had symptoms for as long as I can remember, my first memories at age 3 are of hallucinating.

I first had a manic episode. Then depression. Then voices.

I was never without symptoms.

At a pretty young age I had hallucinations and a “person” telling me hateful things and threatening to kill my dog if I didn’t comply with his bizarre request. Like touching a pickle jar three times before I went to school, dumb but terrifying stuff like that.

I would tell my mom stories about the things I saw and heard, she got scared and thought I was possessed. Did wonders for my little psyche.

Later I started therapy and but I didn’t keep up the medications or the doctors appointments in college and had a monster episode and had to be hospitalized for a while.

Now I’m in my thirties and things are bad, but more even. So I guess that’s better? Who knows.

It really is different for everybody, even if we have a lot of similarities.

1 Like

radio started talking to me

1 Like

probably the first symptom ever was when I was younger and became terrified and deluded that aliens were coming for me

It started with intense, crushing, relentless anxiety. I’d sit in class so scared I thought something had to break. It was humiliating to me to be so afraid of nothing, so I didn’t talk to anyone about it. I just kept getting more and more withdrawn.

2 Likes

It started off with severe panic disorder, depression, irrational fears, magical thinking, and paranoia.

1 Like

Rapid onset- a sudden explosion of auditory and visual hallucinations and perhaps intrusive thoughts.
That was more or less 4 years ago.
The hallucinations were so intense that I prayed just to manage to survive back then.
I didn’t have insight at all.
I was in the military back then.

1 Like

I was eccentric & odd long before diagnosis.
I was schIzotypal before sz.
my father used to tell me that we should visit a psychiatrist cos there’s something odd in me. i would answer that there’s no need for psychiatrist.
when psychotic confusion & mood swings started, it was my decision to go to a psychiatrist. and it was the right time: the beginning of sz. the psychiatrist said it was very fortunate that I went in the right time just before any psychotic episode and we could prevent one. i started taking antipsychotics long before my first psychotic episode.

Well, from a very early age I was detached, but without hallucinations, I was even diagnosed as autistic spectrum at age 10
I began to hear slowly the thoughts of people at the end of the age of 17, it got louder and louder end frequent ,some Visual hallucination delusions, paranoia ,I lived like this until the first long hospitalization, at the age of 29
, do not know to this day I don’t know whether it was difficult or interesting, personally I love the special activity of my mind, , But it also an adventure

Major depressive break at 23. Ditched the prozac and just smoked pot for 6 years daily till a full on psychotic break at 29.

Hindsight is a great thing. I too have had different thoughts and ocd behavior since very young! Major signs were top of the class math in junior…failed all math in senior.

Aged six I began to feel something I couldn’t explain or could tell my family. I later discovered that it is called de-personalisation. That is how it began.

1 Like

When I was 13 I started getting full blown panic attacks. Especially at school or public places like malls. Voices in my head threatened me if I didn’t obey them. Then I started believing evil spirits would infiltrate my mind. Then severe mood swings started at about 16 then self harm at 18. By that time I started treatment and was soon after diagnosed with sz.

When I was 8 and I heard voixes telling me they were coming for me in the middle of the night when i went to sleep…they told me they would set off the alarm and kidnap me

i used to think that I am the alpha male of the world and all women want me :rofl:

4 Likes

So did I @anon19234026.

Where you been man???

I had the same “illusion”…It wasn’t a delusion. But when I was 19 I looked 13-14 years old and I was really cute and all the girls thought I was cute and it made it seem like they wanted me.

I was young and stupid so I didn’t understand they just thought I was cute to look at and didn’t want to have sex with me.

It drove me crazy.

This is kind of how my SZ started…

hi i am good buddy :slight_smile: how you doing?

1 Like

I am fantastic!! Today is the best day of my life so far!! Thanks for asking!!

1 Like

what is the good news?you got laid? :rofl:

1 Like