High intensity aerobic exercise Helps patients with depression or schizophrenia

This is good news for those of you who exercise. More seems to be better (assuming you are in reasonable shape):

CONCLUSION:

High aerobic intensity training used as an acute intervention improved positive affect and well-being and reduced distress and state anxiety in patients with depression and schizophrenia.

5 Likes

I can attest to this. The harder I’ve been able to exercise, the more stable I am.

10-96

3 Likes

I read in a popular magazine that if you’re a non-exerciser even 8 minutes of walking can have a perceptible impact on seasonal depression. I started it last winter and it worked and now I’m up to a half an hour.

20 years ago when I had someone to walk with I used to do 2.5 miles a day. But when that ended I was unable to keep at it alone. It’s a lot easier when you have someone to exercise with.

2 Likes

What helps right now is that I have a treadmill in the basement pointed at the flatscreen and a large Netflix queue. Currently walking my way thru Blacklist season one.

10-96

1 Like

In the words of Big Freedia the twerking diva, “now wait a minute!”

On Risperdal you can’t do cardio according to the information they give me with my prescription. I walk, but not now since I have a persistent cough. Anyway, for my first point any thoughts?

1 Like

That’s actually a good thing to consider or discuss with pdoc. I do believe however when it says no cardio etc it probably means excessive exercising without making sure to compensate with appropriate amounts of fluids. Also exercising may cause the medications to get ‘pumped’ through your system better which is a good thing but something to be aware of. Perhaps someone with more information could chime in.

2 Likes