Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

I’ve heard that some sz’s have “inappropriate affect”. They laugh when people are hurt, or at very solemn occasions. I don’t do that, at least not in person, but I do have inappropriate affect for movies and things that are on tv. I’ll be watching some sad scene, and I’ll be grinning like an idiot because my mind has shifted to something else. My mind turns away from the sad scene, and I think about something funny. I’m glad I don’t do this in person.

7 Likes

Often. It bothers me sometimes.

1 Like

Rarely, but the inappropriate affect got me into trouble many times…

Yeah :unamused: Lots of times! It is horrible! I think it a lot better now though

Then there are the crazy people out there in the world who others do not think of as crazy, the others who also are not classified as crazy by other others, the other others who also are not classified as crazy by other other others, the other other others who also are not classified as crazy by other other other others, …

You see a news incident about someone who was killed, and then you see a family member being interviewed on the news and the person is alternating between smiling ( due to being on TV ) and being sad ( due to loss of family member ).

But most often the smiling becomes #1 priority. To me, that is damn crazy.

Anyway, no I have not caught MYSELF doing that which you have described.

there’s nothing like a person asking you “why are you laughing??” :expressionless:

1 Like

I didn’t cry at my son’s funeral or at my mom’s funeral or even at my mom’s deathbed. I didn’t cry at my brother’s deathbed either. I had zero emotions. I feel like I have zero emotions when I talk about my son’s absolutely gruesome suicide. Makes me feel inhuman sometimes. I don’t laugh though, thank gosh. I did laugh though when talking about a murder that happened in my backyard practically. And I laughed in front of my pdoc when talking about my father’s death. My pdoc didn’t think that was appropriate. What’s wrong with me? Is it sza or is it the Celexa? Or, is it all the AP’s? Could be all of it.

3 Likes

I’ve just heard that’s a symptom of some schizophrenics. You might remind your pdoc of that and ask if he knows the best way to handle it.

I do the same thing watching tv i space out

Yes I have been guilty of that a number of times. I think the creepiest was when I was around 5 and our car battery died at a neighbor’s house so they were jumping the car and it went wrong and lit on fire and I just started laughing hysterically.

1 Like

I didn’t know it was a sz thing. I feel terrible because someone, even one of my students sometimes, will tell me something terrible that has happened and I get the giggles. I always laugh at slasher/horror movies, etc when the worst things happen. It just always strikes me as ridiculous. It’s not that I don’t have empathy, but I just laugh at the absurdity of it…

1 Like

I do the same thing, laugh at horror movies. I think that sort of unnerves people too. I guess when you’ve experienced actual horror (psychosis) the big screen stuff is all just silly silly silly.

3 Likes

I used to do this before I go sz. my father would be describing the pitiful state of our grandfather at his death and i couldn’t help but giggle at how pathetic he sounded. Does this make me a bad person? – no, a weird one? perhaps.

Omg, @Gina2, you have been sucker-punched by life. I don’t think I’d have the energy to cry either with what you’ve been through.
I used to never cry because I was afraid of losing it completely and that I’d never stop crying. But the more I talk about past abuse, etc, the more appropriately I can cry.
I’m not a hugger, @Gina2, but if it would comfort you at all I would totally hug you. :heart:

I have this problem, it’s not a lack of empathy (at least for me?)

I don’t know why…

1 Like

Yes! I always think "you think that’s scary? That’s made up stuff!"
But the news stories and personal stories that make me laugh are because of how absurdly evil and f’d-up this world is. Laughing isn’t the best response and I try not to, but there are terrible things happening and I laugh and think “how about now? Have we had enough of this world yet?”…

I’m sure it’s disconcerting for people who don’t know it is one of the symptoms of sz.

1 Like

You’re a sweetheart @Hedgehog, if I were a hugger, I would hug you back. :smile:

1 Like

I think when I laugh in those situations it’s because I’m nervous and I tend to laugh when I’m nervous. I’m uncomfortable in intimate situations and that includes talking about serious stuff.

2 Likes

My mom used to laugh when she was nervous or scared. That was different than why I laugh inappropriately, but same results. :blush:

1 Like