Have to go to Occupational Health next week for an assessment

For the new job, that is. How much should I tell them? When I got a job at a lab at a hospital in 2008 I was completely up front and honest about my MI, and it caused my start date to get delayed for a few weeks, as I had to get a letter faxed over from my nurse practitioner saying I’m ok to work. After that fiasco I vowed never to do such a thing again. I’m wondering if I should even be honest about having ulcerative colitis, even though that illness hasn’t affected me since I was a teenager. I don’t know, maybe I can put that one down on the form. Hell, with that I worry they’ll want me to get a colonoscopy, though perhaps I’m just being paranoid there.

The main part of the visit I think is more about immunization history and TB testing. I have no documentation of immunizations, so they will end up drawing blood from me to check my titers, then administer whatever shots I need. I will have to go back two days later to get my TB test read, anyway.

I’m a little nervous about this, really don’t think I should tell them about my MI. It’s none of their business, anyway.

1 Like

Will they also be doing a drug screening? IDK what meds show up.

I already did my drug screen, did that last week. The only prescription drugs that would show up would be benzos and narcotic painkillers (opioids), and I don’t take those. I’ve been told Lamictal, which I do take, can cause a false positive for PCP, but I’m sure they would have contacted me if I had tested positive for that. I don’t think I should tell them I’m taking any meds.

I wouldn’t lie - can come back to bite you, but I wouldn’t volunteer that information either.

1 Like

I agree with @twinklestars

1 Like

oh =(

I made a mistake of telling it once… not a good idea at all.
I just say nowadays that I have a bad case of anxiety but it is not severe and most do not notice anything at all anyway. So incase of drug tests etc… that has been my solution.

Good luck. Just hope you do not have a stress test ?! those are tough

I just worry about a lie coming back to bite me in the ass. I plan on doing this job long-term, can’t maintain a lie for a 30 year career, can’t hide this that long. I was texting about it with a friend, and one of the things she said was, “I’d be honest or they may think you’re crazy if they see you talking to yourself.” Truth to that, even if I do mostly keep that in check when I’m out in public.

No stress test, not necessary for the job.

1 Like

It does seem like a dilemma. I would try to feel it out and get a sense of how extensive they actually want to be. But if pressed, I would probably be honest, especially if there is the possibility you could need accommodations or medical leave in the future.

1 Like

I suppose the worst that would happen would be them requiring a letter from my dr saying I’m ok to work. I see her Thursday, so I could talk to her about it then.