Have mental health services abdicated responsibility more and more to family?

I told them today it might be my last time at the depot clinic. They asked me how I felt about the forthcoming move. I told them I was anxious but could see it would be better in the long term.
They then said ” Do you have family near here(for support)?”. I told them no, but would have family near when I move. They told me that was good and would be better. There was no mention of how little support mental health services themselves have given me here . Message loud and clear- the onus is on family to provide support while mental health services do the bare minimum.

Yes I think that’s probably true most places.

1 Like

This has been the trend since the closure of the asylums… If you have a supportive family, good. If not, kill yourself. :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t think thats the case for me. Mental health services won’t leave me alone. Endless CTO after CTO ongoing for 7 years with the threat of the police kicking my door in again to cart me back to the ward, don’t comply and on the floor again with a needle in the bottom, because of non-complacency I get to spend 4 weeks locked in a ward. That has been ongoing for 7 years and 11 admissions.

And with the amount of harassment I get from them one would suspect I’m some kind of psychopath. I’ve only ever been arrested for breaking a pub window and 9 drunk and disorders and a miner assault on a support staff. I know its bad but people have done worse than me and they don’t get all this harassment from doctors and social workers.

2 Likes

7 years for what amounts to misdemeanor crimes. You would’ve served far less time in the normal criminal justice system and then once you served your time, you would be free to do as you wish without having to answer to anyone…

It seems like they treat us worse than real criminals, and in many cases the court ordered treatment becomes like a life sentence for petty offenses.

I hadn’t committed any crimes when they put me on one for being a danger to myself. But luckily I got off it with a private attorney’s help.

Here in the UK if we want to appeal our community treatment orders we got to go to Tribunal which are meant to be independent and impartial reviews to see if the CTO is warranted. I have been to 5 and everyone I have failed to get off my CTO so I don’ think they are impartial at all. I think what they are using against me is that I severely cut my armpit trying to retrieve a microchip the doctors had planted, I think that looks bad on paper.

What is left of my biological family was not supportive. It was my AA family that got me through the worst of the storm. :heart:

2 Likes