Had a hellish day, grown man, crying, wishing for it to end. L-theanine cured it all

Today, I had the day from hell, that was ‘saved’ by l-theanine.

I went into town, had some strong coffees which always makes things much worse.

By the evening, I cried for about 10 seconds. Wanting everything to end. What I was going through could simply and accurately be called torture.

Then I took 200mg of L-theanine and in about an hour and a half later. Poof. Tumble weeds. No problem.

I take the ‘NOW’ brand of l-theanine, from iherb.com. I take 2 x. 100mg capsules.

I didn’t take them this morning or yesterday morning like I normally do.

So just writing down my experience, in case it helps anyone else with mental ‘torture’.

5 Likes

Wonder about placebo having same effect. Glad you feel better.

I too have gotten relief from L-Theanine, have you ever tried sarcosine? L-Theanine works by releasing l-glycine in the brain thus being an NMDA agonist, sarcosine is a stronger NMDA agonist and works wonders for the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. The best sarcosine I’ve found is called ProFrontal, it’s a combination of sarcosine and N-Acetyl-Cystine and can be ordered from www.profrontal.com . You can still take the sarcosine with the L-Theanine, it might even have a synergistic effect and Theanine is also a sedative so it would help you sleep.

I took this tonight. I hope it does something for me.

Please let me know if you have tried pregnenolone? What effects positive or negative have you noticed? If you haven't tried it - perhaps try it and report back. I've read that it can be helpful in negative symptoms that are common in schizophrenia. The dosing in the top study was 50 mg per day. It can be purchased here (this link is a google shopping search: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Pregnenolone&safe=off&tbm=shop I found some clinical trials that had demonstrated effect... Pregnenolone treatment reduces severity of negative symptoms in recent-onset schizophrenia: an 8-week, double-blind, randomized add-on two-center trial. Ritsner MS1, Bawakny H, Kreinin A. Neurosci…

what about Vitamin pregnenolone…have u tried this…

Cool man , I’m debating between NAC and this. What do you think?

That’s crucial to remember in those states. These things pass. I can’t drink cold press espresso drinks… ■■■■ ■■■■■ me up. Learned that lesson.

You’re a boss mate. Stay strong

1 Like

I’ve tried NAC too, but it didn’t do much if anything for me.

Im confused. I don’t know much about the brain. But schizadmin said that these supplements decrease glutamate as schizos have high glutamate. But wouldn’t an agonist increase it? Wouldn’t increasing ndma function increase it? Why do I feel stimulated when I take sarcosine? Why does it help with negative symptoms? I thought I read that blocking glutamate increases psychotic symptoms as do some street drugs? Maybe I have it all backwards. I’m kinda of worried if these drugs increase glutamate as that could cause excitability with the neurons and kill them. I also read a long time ago that too much glutamate can cause anxiety and gaba counteracts it. That’s why having a beer has a calming effect. I feel very uneducated and confused when it comes to glutamate. Can someone clarify this again? Maybe my schizo symptoms had me misunderstanding all this. Thanks.

I’ve no idea how it works, it just does for me.

I’m going to buy l theanine. I mean if it reduces anxiety by increasing glycine, then maybe it truly does reduce glutamate as the admin stated.

The article below is starting to clarify things. So high levels of glutamate may cause psychosis in those who are vulnerable. There are high levels of glutamate in the hippocampus that atrophy it. Reducing glutamate may reduce psychotic symptoms.

1 Like

Sorry you were hit with a hard day… glad you had a way to pull out of it.

It’s good you were able to catch it in time and feel better.

1 Like

And, the research suggests, negative symptoms - thus the role of supplements like glycine and sarcosine that reduce glutamate.

From Wikipedia:

“It acts as a type 1 glycine transporter inhibitor and a glycine agonist. It increases glycine concentrations in the brain thus causing increased NMDA receptor activation and a reduction in symptoms.”

Source: