Grinding/clenching teeth?

I’ve noticed over the past few months that I’ve gotten into the habit of clenching my teeth and rubbing them together.

I had this when I was on Abilify. Now I’m on Invega, but it hasn’t gone away.

It makes my mouth a bit sore, and I’m sure it’s not good for my teeth.

Is there a name for this? And how do I stop it?

1 Like

It’s called bruxism. Do you get akathisia too? Can be related

1 Like

What’s akathisia?

1 Like

Like inner restlessness. A desire to move about a lot, particularly movement of the legs

1 Like

Not on meds. I’ve clenched my teeth in my sleep for many years. I’ve broken/split a few teeth as a result. I wore a night guard for a few years but it was uncomfortable so I stopped. I would recommend them though.

2 Likes

Yes, I have that sometimes. I almost always move my toes or my ancles, and when my symptoms flare up, my legs are the first thing to get affected, causing me extreme uncomfort if I don’t move around.

2 Likes

It is a side effect of the meds. There are treatments available. Can you speak to a doctor?

1 Like

Yes, I have an appointment with a psych nurse sometime in december

1 Like

I bite the side of my tough with my molars. Is that bad?

1 Like

I am on latuda which on a higher dose made me clench my jaw and teeth and it was very uncomfortable and hurt a bit .

My psychiatrist gave me a medication to take with latuda that takes away jaw clenching and it has improved.

1 Like

Yeah. I kind of have to make a concious effort sometimes not to clench my teeth/jaw. It’s not a big issue though. I’m not doing it all the time. But it’s definetely there.

1 Like

You can get TMJ from clenching too much. It hurts where your jaw connects to your head. It can help to sleep with a bite guard

3 Likes

Teeth grinding at night is not a conscious event therefore it is almost impossible to stop something you dod nto know you are doing. If you grind and are causing damage to your teeth or jaw it is best to wear a guard. Even the guard does not stop the grinding but only prevents damage to the teeth or jaw muscles.

Could be a sign of tardive dyskinesia. Hope you feel better.

1 Like

I don’t do it in my sleep, but I catch myself doing it when I’m awake a lot.

1 Like

I used to do this in my sleep, don’t know if I still do or not. All I can tell you is to just stop doing it when you notice. And you said the name right. Teeth grinding. Teeth clenching. No other name for it I know of.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve done it since I was a child. Is it just at night ? You can get a mouth guard fitted by a dentist if you are in the UK to stop any damage. (Wear at night…I have one)

If you are in the US or other country perhaps where you aren’t covered by dental insurance some pharmacies sell them but they are however a general size.

But I don’t know how you can stop it. I wish I knew myself.

Edit: Just re read your post lol. It’s not at night. So the above does not count.

I’d ask your psychiatrist see if it’s a side effect?

1 Like

I have a thing about nose itches. My teeth clench and I got used to that. But this itchy nose thing is annoying. It is kind of funny, though. It is like when your friend gets a piece of pizza sauce on his nose at dinner and no one tells him. That kind of funny.

I told my friend that he had a hair growing out of his nose once and he got so sad. I thought that I was helping him. :open_mouth:

I’ve been grinding my teeth for years. I had a mouth guard for awhile but my grinding destroyed it. My teeth are ground down close too close to the gums. Coincidentally I pulled out a new guard just ten minutes ago and I’m going to start using it.

1 Like