Great News - A $650 Million Donation for Psychiatric Research

Wow - this is truly big news!

Late on Monday, the Broad Institute, a biomedical research center, announced a $650 million donation for psychiatric research from the Stanley Family Foundation — one of the largest private gifts ever for scientific research.

It comes at a time when basic research into mental illness is sputtering, and many drug makers have all but abandoned the search for new treatments.

Despite decades of costly research, experts have learned virtually nothing about the causes of psychiatric disorders and have developed no truly novel drug treatments in more than a quarter century.

Broad Institute officials hope that Mr. Stanley’s donation will change that, and they timed their announcement to coincide with the publication of the largest analysis to date on the genetics of schizophrenia.

3 Likes

This is really great news! I wish the fund could be shared by some other research institutions that are dedicated to psychiatry.

I got sick years before the 2nd generation of drugs came out. And now I’m on one. I was on a first generation drug (prolixen) for more than twenty years. So I have seen changes in my lifetime. It could happen again.

1 Like

But i don’t need it.

It would be best if they just left me alone.

i heard some of the new ones are the same as the old ones only they have improved them

Its a pity theyre wasting the money on science research. Prayer is the answer.

Anyway, they should have put that 650 million into opening soteria houses. These are places for mentally ill scizophrenics to recover without medication.

This is wonderful news! There are good souls left in the world

Coolbeans! I’m going to school for biological psychology, maybe I can conduct my own research studies when I graduate, if there’s still money leftover!

2 Likes