Going on vacation

As much as I’d like to throw my sz self to the wind and enjoy myself, I know I need to take meds. Have any of you survived going out of town without a relapse?

This is one of the things I’ve been afraid. Being to far from home with no immediate way to get to safety.

I’ve avoided it entirely.

1 Like

I used to take the train to visit my dad in Sacramento, about 250 miles away. I was in the middle of a relapse in my life and once I had to go to a hospital for help but they couldn’t do anything for me because I wasn’t a resident of the city. It was a nightmare.
But I don’t want to scare you, I had plenty of subsequent visits where I was fine. I even got so I could drive myself there and back again.

One piece of advice: wherever you stay for any length of time, I would scope out the nearest psyche ward or hospital just to be on the safe side. I would find out where it is and the fastest route to get there, JUST IN CASE. It’s good to be prepared and have a plan just in case the worst case scenario happens and you need somewhere to go in an emergency.

Who knows? You may be fine without a problem but it’s always good to be prepared in case of an emergency.

1 Like

When I have been out of the town for one or more nights, I have taken meds with me, in addition to psych meds I have many other meds to treat my illnesses such as glaucoma. I suggest that you take your meds with you.

1 Like

I’m going in a couple of weeks for a 6 week vacation! I never even thought of having a relapse. If you take your meds and have your sanity, enjoying yourself on a vacation won’t cause any harm. Does it make you stressful if you’re in an unfamiliar place? It’s gonna be a disaster if I have a relapse!

1 Like

@SoitGoes I won’t be traveling alone. :relieved: My dad is getting married, and many of my supports will be around. I’m confident they could get me to safety.
@77nick77 We’re going by car to New Orleans. Thanks for the advice. It is good to be prepared, and know that ahead of time.
@mjseu True. This sounds super easy, and after I finally got to packing, it was. People take medicine for many reasons, it’s just very shameful to be on psych meds for me. Plus giving up alcohol, especially during times of celebration, has been a little difficult.
@waterway Congrats!! Have fun!!! Unfamiliar places, I don’t think so. How about you?

Hey all,
I’m home!!! Had a great time. :grinning:

1 Like

That was really quick. Glad you enjoyed it! :cow:

1 Like

Yeah I do it fairly regularly , I manage ok ,

1 Like

Yes! Definitely should more often

Going on vacation is enjoyable if destination is interesting.We went to Polo Beach last month and booked Makena Condos there.So much fun in awesome condos.

1 Like