First drug for delusions in Parkinson's patients approved

I know this study isnt for schizophrenia but the drug is in late stage trials for schizophrenia anyway.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11631407

4 Likes

It is certainly interesting … I mean Parkinson’s is treated by raising dopaminergic activity, which is the opposite goal in treating psychosis. I have found the following data from the Pimavanserin prescribing information pdf:

12.1 Mechanism of Action
The mechanism of action of pimavanserin in the treatment of hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson’s disease psychosis is unknown. However, the effect of pimavanserin could be mediated through a combination of inverse agonist and antagonist activity at serotonin 5-HT2A receptors and to a lesser extent at serotonin 5-HT2C receptors.

12.2 Pharmacodynamics
In vitro, pimavanserin acts as an inverse agonist and antagonist at serotonin 5-HT2A receptors with high binding affinity (Ki value 0.087 nM) and at serotonin 5-HT2C receptors with lower binding affinity (Ki value 0.44 nM). Pimavanserin shows low binding to sigma 1 receptors (Ki value 120 nM) and has no appreciable affinity (Ki value >300 nM), to serotonin 5-HT2B, dopaminergic (including D2), muscarinic, histaminergic, or adrenergic receptors, or to calcium channels.

I have placed in bold italics the most relevant piece addressing the point I made in introduction. Interesting indeed. Could lead to further research that may help with other demographics such as Narcolepsy or ADHD physiologies experiencing psychosis.

1 Like